Fuel Tuners - has the well run dry? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
While Evan has made another brilliant decision by bringing Oswald on board to tune Dexter's second team (with immediate success), it appears that some other teams are having major problems.
The most glaring example is the Lucas team. After blowing up S$$$ all year long, the fuse got so short today that Morgan failed to qualify. This is NOT Morgan's fault!
I just don't understand why a team with virtually unlimited resources is either unwilling or unable to make a crew chief change to at least get the car down the track.
In addition, a couple of teams have crew chiefs who have been doing this for a long time and are hanging on out of friendship (don't know if you caught Herbert's comments about Brissette - very interesting). When these guys get too tired to put up with the pressure, I can't see anyone out there who can replace them. Opinions?

Jim, I think enough people are coming in and moving up the ranks to keep the knowlege tree going. DNQ's are an ocassional fact of life even for the big boys. With big salaries at stake I think it's fair to assume the well will run dry when the money finally does.

Well my dream is to , own , tune ,and drive a nitro funny car . I spend all my spare time finding out as much about nitro funny car's as possible and have even come up with my own inovative ideas . Yes most of the tuners have been around for years , most of my hero's are from the old days like don garlits , don prudhomme , kenny bernstein , ed the ace , john force , auston coil ,dale armstrong and others . Im sure there will be people around to tune the fuel cars when the master's decide to retire , maybe they should create crew chief apprentiships lol .

I must say im worried about the fuel classes with all the rules and restrictions now and with spiralling costs wich the nhra's rules make worse , and also the lower nitro percentage now is slowly damaging the fuel classes , though I don't trust half the stuff the nhra does especially since they once had a nitro ban . Going back on topic , I remember readingh an interview Ed "The Ace" McCullough where he said that he doisn't have to put up the nhra much longer but the younger crew chiefs do .I hope what I said in my last post is right and new crew chiefs do come along , if my dreams come true then ill be my own crew chief . I wish I was born a few decades before I was because I would have loved to be around in the 70's to be apart of drag racing then. Sorry if i went off topic.

My thoughts on the subject are that the list of people who can tune nitro cars is shrinking because in past times when drag racing was a blossoming sport(1950's and 60's), guys could and would run their race cars on nitro. Even if it was a street car it might get put on fuel. It's what these guys grew up on and even though it was dangerous the rules weren't in place enough to limit it. Today you just can't take your street car to the track and dump a load of nitro in the tank and race it. The rules just won't allow it. The people who grew up with it are now getting to the point where their careers are winding down. Nowaday's the only way to get exposure to what it takes to tune a nitro car is by being a member of a Top Fuel team or an A fuel team and moving up which means a life on the road, which is only possible for a select few. But right now there are several younger guys who have moved up and are doing great.

Last edited:
Look at Alan Johnson. He wasn't even currently tuning for anyone when Don Schumacher picked him up. Anyone with a good deal could have had him (I know, because he was nice enough to answer some questions for me when I was working on a deal at the time that didn't work out). Do you think Doug Herbert spent any time wishing he had kept Dick LaHaie instead of continuing his tuner merry-go-round? All crystal ball stuff. How do you have any idea who is going to be the next big performer?

Billy,
I don't think that anyone would have benefitted from taking their street car to the track and dumping a load of nitro in the tank. Unless their street car had a blower and flat top pistons the technology is incompatible.
It is tough to get a car owner to allow a newbie to play with millions of $$$$ worth of components but there is still a steady trickle of guys working their way up through the system.
Mike "Zippy" Neff was a crew guy at Joe Gibbs working with Lee Beard and now he runs Scelzi's car. Brian Corradi did the same coming from Skuza's crew to a tuning job. Ronnie Thompson worked with AJ at Schumacher's and Jimmy Prock started out turning wrenches on John Martin's Jam-Air F/C in the late 80's. Dickie Venables was a crew guy with Whit Bazemore and so was Kurt Elliot.
There is a constant flow through the ranks and it will continue. Aaron Brooks who is assistant crew chief to Zippy may be the next to step up or my nephew who does the clutch for Cruz could be the next assistant crew chief and continue the path towards calling the shots. What it takes is some ability and a lot of dedication.

Roo Man

Who would've thought that Mike Kloeber at age 27 could have tuned Prudhomme to a Indy sweep in '87? How old was Jimmy Prock when he almost got Cory a Championship in what '92-93? It can be done, but you need a lot of experience. As for the Lucas team they are looking for crew talent for '07, that's all I can say.

Gee, this is a morbid thread! Look at the Oberhofer brothers - Jim and Jon. They were cleaning parts and washing the trailers for Connie & Scott Kalitta in the late 80's. Now they're both at the top level with very high budgets.
That just shows to go ya'......there's a future in this; ald always will be. So for every kid who's out there right now DREAMING of being able to be a parts cleaner or shop gopher on say J.R. Todd's crew.... or Jason Line's crew...... this is proof positive that if you believe in yourself, stick to your guns, and treat people well.... you really can "make it". The great names will come and go as the years pass. They key is, others latching on to the great ones while they're still at it so they can learn all they can.

Who would've thought that Mike Kloeber at age 27 could have tuned Prudhomme to a Indy sweep in '87?........
that was '89., also with crewmember l. dixon.

on topic. there's plenty of talent waiting in the wings (current crewmembers)
without naming names - i would say that JFR shouldn't have to look outside
of it's own organization for future crew chiefs. very dedicated people.

Gee, this is a morbid thread! Look at the Oberhofer brothers - Jim and Jon. They were cleaning parts and washing the trailers for Connie & Scott Kalitta in the late 80's. Now they're both at the top level with very high budgets.
That just shows to go ya'......there's a future in this; ald always will be. So for every kid who's out there right now DREAMING of being able to be a parts cleaner or shop gopher on say J.R. Todd's crew.... or Jason Line's crew...... this is proof positive that if you believe in yourself, stick to your guns, and treat people well.... you really can "make it". The great names will come and go as the years pass. They key is, others latching on to the great ones while they're still at it so they can learn all they can.

CHRIS! VERY WELL SAID, NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER!!!

Yep. It doesn't get any better than Jim O, in my opinion. And that goes for off the track as well. He's just a super cool guy. Hopefully that's what Connie's doing with someone from Scotty's crew now.

There is a sufficient amount of talent to have talented crewchiefs for every team.

Professional drag racing is a team sport and it takes a lot more to be successful as a crew chief than just the mechanical aptitude. As the cars have become more complicated it takes more personnel to service a car, which means there are more chances to screw things up that can cause mechanical failures and losses.

As you complain about the performance of the Lucas team, remember they are ahead of a few teams in the points that are crewchiefed by some of the very people that are being praised in this thread.

As I said, it is a team sport and it takes team chemistry to be successful.

While Evan has made another brilliant decision by bringing Oswald on board to tune Dexter's second team (with immediate success), it appears that some other teams are having major problems.
The most glaring example is the Lucas team. After blowing up S$$$ all year long, the fuse got so short today that Morgan failed to qualify. This is NOT Morgan's fault!
I just don't understand why a team with virtually unlimited resources is either unwilling or unable to make a crew chief change to at least get the car down the track.
In addition, a couple of teams have crew chiefs who have been doing this for a long time and are hanging on out of friendship (don't know if you caught Herbert's comments about Brissette - very interesting). When these guys get too tired to put up with the pressure, I can't see anyone out there who can replace them. Opinions?
I guess the road to respect still has some "potholes". Why not just call most of the fuel crew chiefs a bunch of dumba$$'s:eek: that don't know their head from a hole in the wall!:(

I guess the road to respect still has some "potholes". Why not just call most of the fuel crew chiefs a bunch of dumba$$'s:eek: that don't know their head from a hole in the wall!:(

Well . . . that sounds like the Old Mater! I am entitled to state my opinions and was interested in others'. While we are all being very nice here, it is VERY quiet (with the exception of accusations of diving). As far as my criticism of the Lucas team - the frustration shown by the team's owner yesterday indicates something is wrong. Like everything posted here by everyone, it's JMHO.

Surprise! From the Lucas Team Owner and Driver

Morgan is in the "Penalty Box" with Marty and Mike.
I'll paraphrase . . . "We've tried everything, we need to get some help."
Did I hear this incorrectly or misinterpret what Morgan said?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back