Ford's just miss the bump ....again! (1 Viewer)

His 6.694 friday would have been good enough if they didnt take the top 12 only on friday.

So, for those who know, what's the problem.

1. Teething pains
2. Not enough HP
3. Not slick enough aero
4. Not enough R&D yet

I don't know. The cars look great, but they do look "larger" than the GXP's and Cobalts. Or, is it just a matter of being patient until someone gets things worked out and finds .15 sec somewhere?

That seems like the obvious answer, but Morgan all but said they bascially copied the Mopar stuff during the transition. They were qualifying on a semi-regular basis at that point, so that part doesn't totally add up to me. Plus, they were also saying the 'Stang was really strong in the wind tunnel prior to coming out, so I guess I don't get it.

That just about leaves chassis. Hell, I don't know! LMAO!!!

Sean D

So, for those who know, what's the problem.

1. Teething pains
2. Not enough HP
3. Not slick enough aero
4. Not enough R&D yet

Possibly, #5. The shape of the power curve?

Very few cars are running strong with that head design. One is running very strong so there is some hope. It will be interesting to see what happens when the wedge heads are available.

Have you noticed that Cunningham's operation is making steady progress?

That seems like the obvious answer, but Morgan all but said they bascially copied the Mopar stuff during the transition. They were qualifying on a semi-regular basis at that point, so that part doesn't totally add up to me. Plus, they were also saying the 'Stang was really strong in the wind tunnel prior to coming out, so I guess I don't get it.

That just about leaves chassis. Hell, I don't know! LMAO!!!

Sean D

Good points Sean. Looking back on Larry's Mopar experience, he never developed consistent qualifying power. The shape of the power curve could be an issue too. The HEMI's (new generation) have had difficulty developing power in hot summer conditions. I remember Nickens setting a MPH record in Seattle and then having trouble one week later in the heat at Sonoma...same motor, same car, etc. I'll be curious to see if Allen Johnson can continue building big power in the heat. If he does, he'll be the first to do it with that design.

I realize they've had a rocky, on-and-off relationship, but a call to Bob Glidden might be warrented. Bob's attention to detail is what Larry needs. I've read interviews with Larry where he admitted Bob was needed for just that. A reunion could be just want the Ford teams need.

#1, 2 and 4 are all tied together. They'll get there though. Be interesting to see how the new Roush engine does...

... I'll be curious to see if Allen Johnson can continue building big power in the heat. If he does, he'll be the first to do it with that design. ...

Did you notice the weather from last weekend? While it wasn't 95 degrees, it was definitely summer, and Johnson was running as quick as anyone.

Did you notice the weather from last weekend? While it wasn't 95 degrees, it was definitely summer, and Johnson was running as quick as anyone.

I noticed that too. That's new from past HEMI experiences...including Larry. Allen posted on his blog that they picked up some power just before Atlanta. Maybe they figured out how to maintain the power during less than desirable conditions. I sure hope so...

the fords have a lot of R&D to go yet to be players. its mike edwards and allen johnson then everyone else. all the rest including the summit cars are down on power and anything but edwards finishing 1 and allen johnson finishing 2 would shock me.

I realize they've had a rocky, on-and-off relationship, but a call to Bob Glidden might be warranted. Bob's attention to detail is what Larry needs. I've read interviews with Larry where he admitted Bob was needed for just that. A reunion could be just want the Ford teams need.

I would sooner make the call to John Kaase.

and anything but edwards finishing 1 and allen johnson finishing 2 would shock me.

Jeggie tossed away a tie for low e.t. of the first round, so................

Although they've been a bit inconsistent, they've shown the power is there. And as long as Jeg Coughlin Jr. is behind the wheel of that black and yellow car, you just might end up getting shocked. Put him in a car that is anywhere inside of 2-hundredths of the best car(s) over the entire season and I'll take Jeggie every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sean D

Jeggie tossed away a tie for low e.t. of the first round, so................

Although they've been a bit inconsistent, they've shown the power is there. And as long as Jeg Coughlin Jr. is behind the wheel of that black and yellow car, you just might end up getting shocked. Put him in a car that is anywhere inside of 2-hundredths of the best car(s) over the entire season and I'll take Jeggie every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sean D

He's flat-out the best driver in the class. He's arguable the best driver the class has ever had. The best day in Mopar Pro-Stock history was the day Jeggie agreed to drive one of DSR's Stratus R/T's. The second darkest day in Mopar history was the day he left DSR. The darkest day will always be reserved for the Nitrous/cheating/Cocaine era of Wayne County and Alderman. I'm still amazed that Chrysler Corporation supported them during and after those crimes...
:mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back