For it being their 1st NHRA race, they made a helluva video! Great job! (1 Viewer)

Being a video and drag racing fan, that is one of the most informative videos I have ever seen. Would love to have a personal tour of those studio trailers.

yes!......excellent job 1320. thank you nhra for allowing 1320 to do this. lots of great comments under video too.

May be first NHRA sanctioned event but, thses guys have been doing Drag Racing for years.. This is the company that launched Cletus McFarland.
They bring a fresh perspective.

I was also impressed by this 1320Video, especially the production trailers and the nitro cars decibel reading at the top end! Three questions arose:
1. Why has the NHRA not had the foresight to do this already?
2. With all the sound tech available, why are we still having issues with broadcasts. Improvements have been welcomed but why do we not have full volume from startup to shutdown for all race cars, esp. nitro, on all days?
3. Why are the onscreen graphics not available for NHRA.TV streaming? As NHRA owns and produces this coverage and the tech is available, why limit it to just the FS1 broadcasts which are only a small portion of the 3 day NHRA.TV broadcast?
Any ideas Alan?

May be first NHRA sanctioned event but, thses guys have been doing Drag Racing for years.. This is the company that launched Cletus McFarland.
They bring a fresh perspective.
wondering if nhra has recently eased their restrictions regarding videography from nhra events? this is the same great exposure nhra is getting, as the young utuber
that was invited to one of the late '22 races.....i believe the fox tv broadcast showed the young man talking to john force in john's pit area.......i agree. 1320 has always done a great job.
Brian L you did an excellent job with the 1320 crew and the tv production facilities. that was very cool to see.

Last edited:
Thanks for this terrific post Paul. A great video and very informative. TNN did a documentary on their operation when they covered the NHRA Northwest Nationals back in 1991. I was impressed back then, but the improvements in technology since then are astonishing. This video has other really neat stuff as well, like the decibel readings of the Pros.

This video has other really neat stuff as well, like the decibel readings of the Pros.
I agree with you, that little meter was interesting. I'm thinking it maxed out and am curious about the spl decibels on a verifiable instrument.

I find it interesting that guys who are Drag Racing fans but don't have NHRA National Event experience describe how great it is.

Compared to guys who have been going forever and can only find fault.

Certainly not speaking for Bobby B. but I think this is kind of what he was talking about, that if you look at it without preconceived notions about how great it used to be, there's a lot to like about today's NHRA National Event. It's not what it used to be, but it's still a Hell of a Show.

Alan

Just the amount of people needed to run a Pro team these days is astonishing. In the 1960's you had maybe 3 people & they all knew what to do to get the car ready for a run. The car was on an open trailer and all the spare parts you had & fuel, were in the station wagon or pickup. The technology in the '60's was way above the 1950's, but so far away from what we have today. In the early 50's, dragsters had a supercharged Hemi. No one ever thought that same design, all these years later, would knock on the door of 339 MPH in 3 seconds. Same with the timing systems, announcing, score boards, etc etc. Really IS a different world. If I could go back to 1961, San Fernando, and watch the cars, I'd probably think to myself, wow, these things are death traps, cuz I'd know how much safer the cars today are. Still.... just one Sat night at Lions.......

Cliff,

Not picking on you, just talking. You talk about how they would look like deathtraps, how about talking about how slow they were? I was at the Old Tucson Dragway when Don Garlits made the first 5 second run in Arizona during a Match Race with Shirley Muldowney (Over 40 years ago) and I remember thinking "I can't believe how fast he's going!" If you told me today that I could go see a TF car run low 6's MAYBE even a 5.9 I wouldn't be interested at all. Heck, bracket cars are going that fast now.

I appreciate that Lions was a special place, but it closed 50 years ago. OCIR was also special, it closed 39 years ago, my beloved Tucson Dragway closed 37 years ago. And as a simple math equation, we are closer to 2050 than we are to 1990. Instead of looking backwards and somehow remembering only the good things but not the bad. (Am I the only one who remembers when there would be an oildown and no car for the next hour could get down the lane?) I prefer to appreciate that incredible performance that we have today, and look forward to what is next.

I have always believed that the "Good Old Days" start tomorrow. If I believed that the best part of the sport died 50 years ago, I would have moved on by now.

As always, this is just my opinion.

Alan

I find it interesting that guys who are Drag Racing fans but don't have NHRA National Event experience describe how great it is.
Compared to guys who have been going forever and can only find fault. .......
remember your first jet airplane ride? it was great, even though you were in coach and got peanuts and a beverage. that same plane ride and service is not as great anymore,
even though it's accomplishing the exact same thing it accomplished 30+ years ago. as frequent flyer, you now recognize what aspects are good and those that could be improved.
those who only find fault probably don't go anymore. those of us who still go, can offer constructive criticism and praise. we care about the longevity of whatever we are passionate about.

The GOOD OLD DAYS have come an gone, they are GOOD to remember but their DAYS are gone and I am OLD. The changes that have come to todays racing have saved many lives and I wish they were there in the early years they would have saved many of my friends from injuries or loss of life. Lions has made some good memories for many, But it also has given me some very bad memories. It was time for it's closing. Also many to not support the change form 1320' too 1000' I do. thank you NHRA for making the changes.
Larry Sutton---Lions, OCIR, Irwindale and many other tracks starter and racer (RET.) 🤠

remember your first jet airplane ride? it was great, even though you were in coach and got peanuts and a beverage. that same plane ride and service is not as great anymore,
even though it's accomplishing the exact same thing it accomplished 30+ years ago. as frequent flyer, you now recognize what aspects are good and those that could be improved.
those who only find fault probably don't go anymore. those of us who still go, can offer constructive criticism and praise. we care about the longevity of whatever we are passionate about.

Agree 100%! Constructive criticism is good and welcome. But those who continue to claim that everything was awesome 50 years ago and everything sucks today is to me, older than the last race at Lions.

Alan

Agree with the above posts - getting to see the sheer amount of technology inside the production trucks, the decibel meter readings, Brian talking about the organized chaos inside those trucks on a broadcast - it all provided a completely different layer to the already great coverage NHRA gives. Behind the scenes has always been a cool concept, no matter your sporting code.

It's the NHRA's job to provide the run-by-run, results-driven show that airs to FOX. To a degree, these cool behind-the-scenes videos are the job of YouTubers, Videographers, and other Media outlets. So long as NHRA keeps swinging open the doors to these creators. There are many, many layers to a National Event, and no single entity can cover it all.
Daniel Mac from TikTok was in the JFR pit area, and his 60-second video has raked in 2.2million views so far.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back