FC oiling system change? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
When we were at JFR shop Saturday, I saw a motor on a stand that had a black cylinder attached to the oil pump. Crewman told me that it was a filter that "Coil was working on" that replaced the normal Fram filter.
I've wondered what advantage there is to FCs running a dry sump system (TFs do not, but some run an accumulator) - does it offset the extra weight of a lot of plumbing and an external oil tank? Very interesting!

When we were at JFR shop Saturday, I saw a motor on a stand that had a black cylinder attached to the oil pump. Crewman told me that it was a filter that "Coil was working on" that replaced the normal Fram filter.
I've wondered what advantage there is to FCs running a dry sump system (TFs do not, but some run an accumulator) - does it offset the extra weight of a lot of plumbing and an external oil tank? Very interesting!

Jim, did you get security clearance before releasing this post. LOL.:D:D

Funny's run a dry sump becasue #1 the rules says so, and #2 it keeps a lot of oil out of the crankcase, just incase the motor throws a bone out the side, it is not letting ALL the oil out.

Back in 2000, a few dragsters ran dry sump systems at the start of the year when all the rules changes went down to reduce oil downs. Joe Amato had one on his Hadman car, and I seem to remember Mike Smith driving Ralph Whites car had one as well. I remember that car specificly becasue Mckinney built a special mud flap on the left side of the car to sort of wrap around the tank. (The tanks were outside the frame rails). Wish I had photos of it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back