Even you can win the championship! (My last weekend story) (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
Even you can win the championship! The local track championship at least. Go support your local track. Race your Buick or Mini-Van, whatever you have, just for fun. There will be a class for you.

Warning, very long story below.

Well as some of you know from here, or Bookface, or whatever, I bought a bone stock Camaro 2 years ago, and have done some work on it, and have been bracket racing the last 2 seasons. It ran 14.20 stock, now it will run 13.0's with an occasional 12.9X in good air. Last year I split between 2 different tracks, and did OK.

This year I decided to run for points at one track, and run all their points races. It was an 11 race series, and I held the lead most of the way, but had a couple bad races toward the end, and I ended up being 1 point behind the leader going into the last race. Oh yeah, and I was also tied for second with another guy. 3 racers with 1 point between us. Whomever went the farthest in this race would be the champ. The Joe Amato/Gary Ormsby 1990 seaon came to mind.

We get 3 time trials before round 1. The first 2 runs were good, right in the 13.0 range. The last time trial I went about 5 feet and spun the tires really bad to the point I had to lift. I got back in it and ran it to 1000 feet, and lifted. The track was cold, it was only about 50 degrees out, and windy.

For first round, I decided I wanted to run behind by competition to know how they are doing before I ran. I didn't come to the lanes right away, and when I did I got paired up with a 17 second Chrysler 200. Great, nothing like sitting there for 4 seconds while the other car is driving away.

The first pair out had the guy I was tied with for 2nd, and he went out. 1 down!! The guy leading by 1 point won, so I had to win my round. I dialed 13.01, and did a huge burnout, more than normal to get more heat in the tires. We get staged, she goes, 4 seconds later, I go. Sure as hell, I spin the tires again, but not nearly as bad. At about 800 feet I am thinking I am not going to get there. 1200 feet comes and it's 100% certain I am not going to get there. I knew I had spun, and was in no danger of breaking out, so I decided to run it out. I saw her brake lights come on and knew she was dumping to avoid break out, and I really thought it was over. I looked for my win light hoping for a little luck, and sure enough it lit up and I was alive for another round. I ran 13.10 on my 13.01 spinning, but she broke out by over 2 tenths.

For round 2, I had a different approach on getting to the lanes. I wanted to get up there right away, because my class runs after super pro, and I figured the track would be best after they ran, that is the fastest class we run. I ran 3rd pair, and was up against a Corvette, I dialed a 13.01 again, and the Vette dialed a 13.04, really close spread. I did another big burnout, and staged up. I felt I had a pretty decent light and right away I knew I was in a good spot because the Vette should have been right next to me, and it wasn't. The further down track we went, the distance grew. I told myself to run it to 1000 feet before I did any dumping so I could compare my incremental times to my other runs for more dial in data for my next run. I let off about 1100 feet and coasted across by a good margin. Winner Winner The points leader also won.

For round 3, I got up there pretty quick again, and was told I had a bye run based on best reaction time the previous round, and odd number of cars. I'll take a bye run any day. They pulled me out of line to run last, and sure enough the points leader ran first. I was able to see his run, and it looked like he was behind the entire way. It took FOREVER it felt like for the win light to come on, and when it did, the points leader was done. Since I had the bye run , It was over! Needless to say I was pretty excited and was glad it was finally over. I ended up going to the finals and lost a close one. It would have been nice to double but the championship was my main focus and I was lucky enough to get it. The Banquet is in January, hopefully I can come up with a decent speech by then, ha ha.

There is my story from last week

Winner123.jpg

Last edited:
Good story, and a great last race of the season. Congratulations.

If you take the two barnacles off your roof will it not go faster?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back