Erica Enders (1 Viewer)

Rich

Nitro Member
Now that Erica Enders has changed teams, I wish her well on the western swing. I don't particularly consider myself one of her fans, but I have a twelve year old girl who is definitely one. And a BIG one.

I have had custody of my granddaughter since she was four. While her brother and sister would sometimes attend or watch a race on television with me, my granddaughter really never showed much interest. However, all that changed a couple of years ago with the Disney movie Right On Track. That movie not only caught her interest, I swear she watched it every time it was shown on television.

Last year she all but begged me to take her to the Northwest Nationals when they came to Seattle. Naturally, she didn't have to twist my arm too hard - especially since I go every year anyway. Let me tell you, she had the time of her life at that race. While she was never able to get Erica's autograph like she wanted to, she was able to get one from Melanie Troxel and some of the other drivers (and now Melanie has another young fan as well).

AlonaDrags-02.jpg

My granddaughter and I are really looking forward to attending the Northwest Nationals again in two weeks. Regardless of any current controversy there my be over the switch of teams, a grateful grandfather appreciates the fact that Erica has made a drag racing race fan out of my granddaughter.

Something makes me think that the two new DSR cars are going to take a little bit to get up to speed.

I hope they get on top of it quickly, as I am a fan of GW and EE drives well for a chick! ;) :p

My 5 yr old daughter is really getting into racing too. It's the greatest thing to be able to share and spend time with your kids doing something you love and hopefully something that they'll love too.

She loves Hillary Will and was able to meet her at Columbus, let me tell you they don't come any nicer than Hillary.

Along with Hillary she was also able to meet and get pictures with Erica and Melanie. Tried to get some of the other lady racers but weren't lucky enough to catch them at the right time. We're into the girl power deal now.

Hope you have a life time fan there now. I know if I try to sneak away to a race without my daughter that I'm in the doghouse now :)

I'm hoping Erica does well too, but I fear this may be more of a move for the future than for now....and yes I hope I'm 100% wrong on that.

Ah what a familiar theme taking a kid to the races!
Thats how dreams are born and how a parent or grand parent in our case can make a difference.
Miss Enders will do alright and maybe Greg will make sure your granddaughter gets that autograph next race you attend.
I still remember eleven or twelve going to the Nationals at Green Valley Raceway and seeing Top Fuel cars lined up four wide for half a block.
And that was just the single engine cars, the multi engine cars ran separate!
Dang it shows your age when you remember what top fuel was like before Funny's
.Larry 00

Last edited:
No pro stock empire was built in a day. And thus it will be with DSR. It will take some time. But I am not giving up on Erica. I would like to see her doing well in the future. And I hope everyone has the patients to wait a while for qualifying well, going rounds and winning events.
Love to see kids at the races. That is where I recieved my fix, and many future nitrofreaks to come.

Rich Smith and Paul Sapienza, great stories. I try to take a new fan to the few NHRA races my wife and I can attend each year. No matter what their age, once they see just how fast these cars are, VS watching them on TV, their hooked for life. Now if the NHRA would just build better stands, like Bristol. :)

Now that Erica Enders has changed teams, I wish her well on the western swing. I don't particularly consider myself one of her fans, but I have a twelve year old girl who is definitely one. And a BIG one.

AlonaDrags-02.jpg

My granddaughter and I are really looking forward to attending the Northwest Nationals again in two weeks. Regardless of any current controversy there my be over the switch of teams, a grateful grandfather appreciates the fact that Erica has made a drag racing race fan out of my granddaughter.

Thanks for sharing that cool story. My 5 year old likes Erica & Ashley Force & it's really cool to see her into drag racing. Maybe oneday she'll be as passionate about it as I am.

Good luck to Erica by the way & yes I'm a fan of hers...
:)

Just read EE's blog At NHRA.Com... Opened my eyes about her dad... Mr. Enders, I own you an apologie. You do have a great Daughter and Erica seems to have it together. Good Luck the rest of the season.

And, I think EE will have her first Win by Reading, but I wish she'd hold off until Richmond, first week in October... I'd love to see her first P/S victory in person.

Posted this on the ‘Mater just before the change in format …so for anyone who missed it…

For “Daddy-Daughter-Day” this year, my 12 year old wanted to go see EE at Englishtown! I’d never been to the races, so thanks to Disney and EE, this was my chance! (I have 3 daughters, no sons… and no regrets)

On Saturday, about an hour before EE’s last qualification run, we walked past the pits to take a picture of my daughter with EE’s car. As I lined up the shot, I told my daughter to turn around when I saw EE in the view finder walking over toward us.

EE signed, took pictures with my daughter, etc. GE came over and talked to me and was a great spokesman and promoter for Slammers as he ran around making sure everyone had a bottle.

But, what most impressed me:
As GE finished chatting with me and started walking away, he saw my daughter flinch at a FC launch and said “Let me get some earplugs for her”. I already had a pair for her in my hand, and GE got sidelined by other conversations, so after a few minutes reviewing the picture of my daughter with EE we started walking to the track.

After we got about half way to the track I felt a tap on my shoulder as GE jogged up to us with a pair of earplugs for my daughter.

Pretty classy if you ask me … my daughter has the earplugs taped in her diary!

EE and GE, even though Englishtown ’06 probably isn’t your favorite “Dad-Daughter” memory … thanks for making it an awesome “Daddy-Daughter-Day” memory for us!

This is one Dad and Daughter hoping this change works out for another Dad and Daughter … Godspeed! PHI 4:13

JessieAndEE2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great story. And just one more example of what makes this sport of drag racing so special.

Rich,

that is an awesome story. Speaking of the Disney movie about Erica, I watched it on my laptop while I was in Germany last month. My brother in law is stationed at Ramstein Air Base and was working in the passenger terminal when the NHRA racers (I can't even remember all the folks who went) came through. In addition to autographed photos, he gave me a CD-ROM that was handed out to the guys at Landstuhl Medical Center. In addition to the greetings to the injured troops, they put the Disney movie about Erica on it. I had no idea it was on there...lol. I do love that Beverly Mitchell from 7th Heaven (one of my fave shows) played Erica.

I suppose the next time I have an opportunity to interview Erica (I had the option of her or Melanie Troxel last year...I went with Melanie *shrug*) I'll take it. She's had quite a bit happen in the past year! New team, sponsor, engaged, the whole nine.

It's awesome that Erica helped make your adorable little granddaughter a race fan. And with the debate raging right now about Danica Patrick making the jump from IRL to NASCAR, it's nice to see that women drivers in the NHRA are already acting as good role models for young girls.

The other thing this shows is just how family-friendly the NHRA is as a sport. I think I may take my mom again this year ...

Hope to see you, Rich, and your granddaughter next weekend at Pacific Raceways ... I've been promised tickets, but if those don't come through I'll find a way inside the gates one way or another. Can't keep me away from drag races happening less than five miles from my house!

There is an article on NHRA about EE testing new car in St. Louis. Ran a 6.87 in the heat and humidity.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back