Ed O'Connell (1 Viewer)

cdag

Nitro Member
It was with great sadness that I learned of the passing of fellow Nitromater and friend Ed O'Connell.

Ed was an avid drag racing fan and accomplished photographer and combined the two passions to bring us some amazing shots from dragstrips in both the U.S. and in Europe, where he followed the FIA. He was a longtime staff member of Eurodragster, submitting photos and reports from the United States as a U.S. correspondent.

I had the good fortune of meeting Mr. O'Connell, along with his beloved wife, Kathy, several years ago at a Funny Car match race. He was the kind of person who immediately made you feel like a longtime friend. Any time I had a question about camera gear, I knew I could call upon Ed for info and opinion on the latest products available. I also learned a great deal of drag racing's past both here and abroad as he was a knowledgeable historian- some of his stories were unbelievable!

I am truly going to miss hanging at the tracks with Ed. My thoughts and prayers are with Kathy and their family. Rest in Peace buddy.

EdOConnell.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting Ed several years ago in Gainesville when I was working for Pat Dakin. Every time after that he always greeted me with a smile and a handshake. Like Corey said, he always treated you like he'd known you for years. I always looked forward to seeing some his work and he always took time to show me some of the shots he had taken. When I started driving, I ran into him again at Epping and he took two of my favorite pictures. I will miss seeing Ed around the track. He was truly a great person.

550848_10100322684110555_384184196_n.jpg

282372_10100323198145425_1346645786_n.jpg

spent much time on Ed's website looking at his incredible photos, and not just drag racing.
RIP Mr. O'Connell.

RIP Ed. I'm sure going to miss your excellent photo updates, but thank you for the great ones you've left us with. Godspeed.

Oh no! :( Wow. I loved his photography and that he would share it here with us. I had hoped to meet him someday at some track. Damn it. My condolences to his family.

Wow....sad news! I met Ed at the Ale House in Gainesville around 2007-08? I only seen him once since at Pomona the following year! Life is Short, live life to the Fullest!

Yes, Ed made a big impact over here in Europe as well. It was great to work with him and meet him at the tracks be it at Santa Pod or at SGMP. He also served as an army combat medic in Vietnam. RIP Ed.
Ed%20O%27Connell%20RVN-68-BIG.jpg

Sorry to hear about this. Thoughts and prayers to Ed's family and friends.

I too enjoyed his photos. Hats off to a true veteran, and a good guy. My thoughts go out to his family. Rest in Peace Ed O'Connell.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back