Dual TD Crash Caused by Water at the Finish Line (1 Viewer)

mopain

Nitro Member
I'm surprised no one is talking about the NHRA sending the first pair down the track on Saturday into puddles in both lanes, just before the finish line, causing both cars to crash.
On the slo-motion replay you can see the water spray from the rear tires of the dragster in the left lane. People watching from the starting line said they could see water spray from both cars.

Wow, how could that much moisture have been overlooked? NHRA usually does a great job of making sure the track is in good shape.

And, driver in right lane allowed to leave with visor up as has become the norm...but P/S driver was punished for lifting visor in shutdown area in full bodied car with a windshield...?

In a just world the NHRA would be writing checks to get those cars fixed ASAP but we know they'll wash their hands clean of any responsibility.

I just wonder if these two drivers / owners are going to tell NHRA it's ok we understand.

Wow, how could that much moisture have been overlooked? NHRA usually does a great job of making sure the track is in good shape.

Agreed.......

It's hard to tell, but do you suppose there's ANY chance that something happened with the quicker car that ended up getting into the other lane? I know it's a long shot, but with all the personnel in that area of the track, it's just hard to fathom missing something like that.......

Sean D

This is your Safety Safari at work. Nothing has changed. These dead beats only concern is to get the show over as early as possible every day so they can get back to the bar.

I willing to bet both cars had 4-link suspensions on them and once the tires break loose, it's over with; as it is in Pro Stock. I don't know the situation, but how many cars went down the track prior to these two without issues?

Drivers and car owners always have the right to say no, I am not running my car down this track. We've done it after the car in front of us barrel rolled 11 times at the March Meet one year and made it on national television.

http://www.rodauthority.com/news/vi...coupe-crashes-and-barrel-rolls-down-the-trac/

A spring was leaking up from under the track, but you couldn't see it on the surface except for a couple of weeping spots. Compounded by the fact that they had ran Top Fuel in front of us and they had no issues.

This is your Safety Safari at work. Nothing has changed. These dead beats only concern is to get the show over as early as possible every day so they can get back to the bar.

Wow. Just wow. It is part of the NHRA rules that employees get randomly selected to be tested for drugs and alcohol in their system. I sincerely doubt these guys take such a caviler attitude about this.

This happened the first pair Friday morning, not Saturday morning. They were the first pair down the track on Friday. I was watching through NHRA all access at the time it happened. I'm not privy to any inside information from either race team involved but I find it hard to believe that both lanes had visible water on them that would spray up during the run. I'm not going to lay blame to the safety safari or NHRA without more information. I think it could be possible the first dragster lost some liquid and it got under the tire and possible the other lane or the other driver could have reacted from that causing her crash. Not laying blame but would like more information.
I have seen many times where a high horsepower car gets loose on a cold race track. Several years ago there were several crashes involving Top Sportsman and Pro Stock in Phoenix which forced them to postpone all cars other than the Nitro cars.

Wow, this has to be one of the most moronic posts I have read around here in awhile. Did you wear a helmet as you wrote this, because you surely are a special person with this type of garbage spewing out of your mouth?.?.?

Agreed.......

It's hard to tell, but do you suppose there's ANY chance that something happened with the quicker car that ended up getting into the other lane? I know it's a long shot, but with all the personnel in that area of the track, it's just hard to fathom missing something like that.......

Sean D
They were the first pair down the track Friday morning. It was supposed to be slower classes first but those cars had a hard time getting out of the muddy pits so the geniuses at NHRA decided it was a bright idea to send Top Dragster down the track first.

Wow, this has to be one of the most moronic posts I have read around here in awhile. Did you wear a helmet as you wrote this, because you surely are a special person with this type of garbage spewing out of your mouth?.?.?

Paul, I'm sorry you think they are so good, But as a driver, The NHRA Safety Safari Is not a good as it could be. Here are some examples

1.I raced Gary Williams at Zmax in SC back in 2011, First pair out. Water on Track we both nearly crashed and we stopped at top end to tell them. What happened? They send another pair, Next pair one car crashed
2. Watch the NHRA Crew after each T/F Car they go out on track to check track after each T/F car. But watch after last car no one checks track then.Who cares what clutch dust is on track then!
3.There was a Pro Mod at Gainesville this week that had a pretty good fire. Watch the Safety crew The first guy to the car to save the "driver" doesn't have on full fire safety gear and had to retreat until the fire was out. Just watch the Video. He even jumps back because the flames are to hot.
4. Quite often they put the fastest cars T/D, T/S or S/C first in line for the day on Damp, Dew covered tracks. Where's the logic in that?
5. You can see from the above Video the track was wet.

I'm sure you all our going to disagree but after 14 years as a Washington DC Paramedic and a Top Dragster Driver. I think i know a little bit about safety. Yes they are Ok, but Not as good as they could be, and much worse for the sportsman racer.

Its a hard job to wear safety gear all day in the sun, But Its the job, Do It or go home. Safety is not just for the Professional Classes.

They could be better, They need to learn to care about everyone.

In the words of the Principal from Billy Madison :

Mr. McGuire, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Paul, I'm sorry you think they are so good, But as a driver, The NHRA Safety Safari Is not a good as it could be. Here are some examples

1.I raced Gary Williams at Zmax in SC back in 2011, First pair out. Water on Track we both nearly crashed and we stopped at top end to tell them. What happened? They send another pair, Next pair one car crashed
2. Watch the NHRA Crew after each T/F Car they go out on track to check track after each T/F car. But watch after last car no one checks track then.Who cares what clutch dust is on track then!
3.There was a Pro Mod at Gainesville this week that had a pretty good fire. Watch the Safety crew The first guy to the car to save the "driver" doesn't have on full fire safety gear and had to retreat until the fire was out. Just watch the Video. He even jumps back because the flames are to hot.
4. Quite often they put the fastest cars T/D, T/S or S/C first in line for the day on Damp, Dew covered tracks. Where's the logic in that?
5. You can see from the above Video the track was wet.

I'm sure you all our going to disagree but after 14 years as a Washington DC Paramedic and a Top Dragster Driver. I think i know a little bit about safety. Yes they are Ok, but Not as good as they could be, and much worse for the sportsman racer.

Its a hard job to wear safety gear all day in the sun, But Its the job, Do It or go home. Safety is not just for the Professional Classes.

They could be better, They need to learn to care about everyone.

John McGuire--- See above about how to properly critique a group without making a bunch of BS remarks insulting the entire group.

No one said they were perfect and I am sure they learned from each incident and have taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Agreed.......

Sean D

X2 Sean. Maybe we could postpone judgement until the crew from the quicker car reports whether or not they leaked.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back