Event 10 of 24 (Richmond)
Virginia Motorsports Park
North Dinwiddie, Virginia
June 8-10, 2018

Noteworthy:

• Tony Schumacher raced to victory at the 2008 event
  • Antron Brown returns as the most recent Richmond Top Fuel runner-up
  • Brown, Schumacher and Jack Beckman hold Richmond track records
  • Beckman and Ron Capps have made final round appearances at Virginia Motorsports Park
  • Richmond is a 'home track' for Matt Hagan, a lifelong Virginia resident

DSR-Owned Track Records:
Top Fuel, E.T.: 3.771-seconds, Tony Schumacher (2008)
Top Fuel, speed: 319.60-mph, Antron Brown (2009)
Funny Car, E.T.: 4.004-secs, Jack Beckman (2009)

DSR Driver Information:

Top Fuel:

ANTRON BROWN
Driver of the Matco Tools Top Fuel Dragster
3dd6919e-23c8-4bd3-826a-6f13330985cf.jpg

NHRA Richmond Highlights:
  • 2009 runner-up
Last event (Chicago):
Qualified seventh; First round exit (defeated by Leah Pritchett in E1)

2018 Season Statistics:
Seven round wins; ranked eighth in points

Career Statistics:
391 races; 65 wins (16 Pro Stock Motorcycle); 49 No. 1 qualifiers (11 PSM)

Quotable:
"I’m looking forward to getting back to Richmond. I remember racing at Richmond when I first started my career off in Pro Stock Motorcyles, so it’s going to be pretty awesome to get back there. The main thing is, it will be a great family homecoming. Since we aren’t going to Englishtown, all of my family is coming down to Virginia – my grandma is really excited. My mom’s coming out, my dad and uncles want to be there, so it’s just going to be a lot of fun.

"Tommy Franklin (new owner at Richmond) is definitely a patriot to our sport. He has a passion for drag racing. What he’s doing and has already done for that race track is incredible and they’re going to put on a great show. He has all of my support. We’re really looking forward to getting down there and having a great time.”

LEAH PRITCHETT
Driver of the FireAde Top Fuel Dragster
7572f68b-210f-480c-9afd-b1a23f2ac5dd.jpg

Last event (Chicago):
Qualified 10th; Event runner-up (defeated Antron Brown in E1, Kyle Wurtzel in E2, Blake Alexander in E3; defeated by Clay Millican in E4)

2018 Season Statistics:
13 round wins; ranked third in points

Career Statistics:
103 races; six wins; eight No. 1 qualifiers

Quotable:
“I think (Richmond) is going to go well. We’ll have an even playing field for everyone, not having good track data there. I hear it’s supposed to be fast, and this team, we can go back to some of our ways where we know how to lay down some numbers. We’ve struggled with that this year, getting that power back, and now that we’ve found it in the heat, I’m looking forward to applying it. We’re not going to let (the Chicago) final round stop us at all. Our heads are not hanging low at all. We’ll keep (our heads) grounded and down, hopefully on this swing we’ll be raising a Wally.”

TONY SCHUMACHER
Driver of the U.S. Army Top Fuel Dragster
0e636172-0b6c-467e-963d-d66e91ace765.jpg

NHRA Richmond Event Highlights:
  • 2008 event winner
  • Three-time No. 1 qualifier (2006, 2007, 2008)
Last event (Chicago):
Qualified third; First round exit (defeated by Billy Torrence in E1)

2018 Season Statistics:
Ten round wins; ranked fourth in points

Career Statistics:
489 races; 83 wins; 86 No. 1 qualifiers

Quotable:
“It’ll be nice to see some new faces this weekend and bring (the fans) the kind of racing they’ve never seen before. A lot has changed since the last time we were there as far as our series. We’re much quicker, much more powerful than ever before, and it’s been a long time since they’ve seen anything like that.

"You can appreciate someone buying a racetrack and doing the things that need to be done to give us a safe and competitive place to come back to. The track itself – all concrete – is going to be pretty nice and I’m really looking forward to it. It brings us back toward that historic part of the country where the U.S. Army had a lot going on 150, 200 years ago, and it’s just down the road from our nation’s capital. We’ve won there before and it would be a great time and place to put it all together and get another one.”

Funny Car:

JACK BECKMAN
Driver of the Infinite Hero Foundation Dodge Charger R/T
f16e9601-4b7e-4591-a139-7fff565354ec.jpg

• 2008 runner-up
  • 2009 No. 1 qualifier
Last event (Chicago):
Qualified third; Quarterfinal finish (defeated Dale Creasy in E1; defeated by John Force in E2)

2018 Season Statistics:
15 round wins; ranked second in points

Career Statistics:
285 races; 27 wins; 24 No. 1 qualifiers

Quotable:
"Transitioning to our new car at Chicago didn’t quite give us the results that we wanted, but we found something in the bellhousing that we feel like is going to give us as quick a car as we’ve had all year. The guys were really excited to get back to the shop, replenish the trailers, and then head straight out to Richmond, a track we haven’t raced at for almost ten years. It’s going to be doubly exciting; we’ve got a new car, a new track, and a fresh new outlook."

RON CAPPS
Driver of the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger R/T
f99ccd1d-ca44-4969-b760-68542fbfd408.jpg

• Two-time runner-up (2000, 2007)
Last event (Chicago):
Qualified second; Event runner-up (defeated Justin Schriefer in E1, Shawn Langdon in E2, John Force in E3; defeated by Robert Hight in E4)

2018 Season Statistics:
10 round wins; ranked sixth in points

Career Statistics:
516 races; 58 wins (one Top Fuel); 21 No. 1 qualifiers

Quotable:
"There are few tracks I haven’t won at, and Richmond is one of them. I never got to win there before, and I’ve won at pretty much every other track over all these years. To get to go back there and have that opportunity is fun.

"We always enjoy going to that area of the country and you can tell the owners that bought that place, what they’ve done in a short amount of time, it’s going to be fun. We’re going to see a whole bunch of fresh faces that we haven’t seen for almost a decade as far as fans. They’ve missed us being in that area. I’m so happy NHRA is going back. I’d love for nothing more than to park that NAPA Dodge right in the winner’s circle. This summer is going to be fun, and it starts with going to Richmond and just unloading and doing what we’re used to doing."

Note: Capps has won at every track along the current NHRA tour with the exception of Richmond and Indianapolis.

MATT HAGAN
Driver of the Mopar Express Lane Dodge Charger R/T
3c082338-1849-4abf-928d-c47bbfb101fe.jpg

Last event (Chicago):
Qualified No. 1; Quarterfinal finish (defeated Jonnie Lindberg in E1; defeated by Bob Tasca III in E2)

2018 Season Statistics:
14 round wins; ranked fourth in points

Career Statistics:
225 races; 27 wins; 32 No. 1 qualifiers

Notable:
  • Richmond is a 'home track' for Hagan, a lifelong Virginia resident
Quotable:
"Pretty excited to be back at Richmond. We qualified No. 1 at the last race we were at, so we have some momentum working off of that, but we are still trying to figure out this track prep and find out why we’re pulling the tires loose. We’re making slow and steady progress, but we’re running out of races. We need to start winning some more of them; we’re capable of it.

"Going into Richmond and then Bristol right after, both home tracks for me, is pretty cool. I’m excited to have two races in my backyard."

TOMMY JOHNSON JR.
Driver of the Make-A-Wish Foundation Dodge Charger R/T
2dacf37d-c9d9-4c92-99d8-eca97b09148d.jpg

• 2007 No. 1 qualifier
Last event (Chicago):
Qualified 10th; First round exit (defeated by Shawn Langdon in E1)

2018 Season Statistics:
Ten round wins; Ranked seventh in points

Career Statistics:
431 races; 17 wins (two Top Fuel); 15 No. 1 qualifiers (one Top Fuel)

Quotable:
“I’m looking forward to getting back to Richmond. It’s been a long time since we’ve been there. I’ve run really well there in the past. I was the No. 1 qualifier in 2007. It’s a nice, beautiful facility; a lot of avid race fans in that area, so I’m glad we’re going back and hope to put on a good show for the fans.”​

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back