DSR Racing & Allen Johnson -Thank you! (1 Viewer)

t-roy

Nitro Member
I copied this from DragRaceResults.com. Its posted in the general area and I think it deserves to be here as well...........

Perhaps you have seen my other post announcing the passing of one of my team members, Harry Rhoades.

This post, however, is to acknowledge and thank Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) and Allen Johnson for their compassion and help in making Harry's last race days fantastic.

Harry had been fighting cancer for the last couple of years through chemo and radiation. He learned in early October that it hadn't succeeded so his time left was short.

Being such a big race fan, we thought it a good idea to get tickets for Mike(his son) and him to go to Las Vegas for the semi-finals.

We bought them tickets to attend but realized that all that walking might be too much for him. We thought that maybe if we sent out some e-mails to the various teams that we would be able to get him into the hospitality areas so at least he could rest. It also would give him an opportunity to meet and talk with the teams and drivers in a relaxing atmosphere.

So we sent out several e-mails to the "big boys" and reached out to some people we knew (that knew somebody) to see if we could make it happen.

The only ones that answered and welcomed him to their areas were DSR and Allen Johnson. They both made arrangements to give both Mike and Harry the credentials necessary and welcomed them openly.

It turned out that this was the best thing that could have happened to Harry. He was able to rest near the stands when he got overtired. While in the hospitality areas he got to meet and talk with many of the teams and drivers.

I wasn't able to go to the race with Mike and Harry but went to Vegas for the SEMA show. The last time I saw Harry was the Monday morning after breakfast following the semi-finals in Vegas. He was beaming from ear to ear because he had such a great time. He was telling of his meeting with everyone with a great enthusiasm. It was the best I had seen him feeling in a long time!

Two weeks later, Harry passed away. No one knew that LV was going to be his last race. The doctors had told him only a couple of weeks earlier that he had 6 months left.

So, this is a very heartfelt THANK YOU and acknowledgement of the COMPASSION and GENEROSITY of DSR and Allen Johnson!

If you are reading this and know anyone in their pits, please let them know they made Harry's last race days WONDERFUL!

I will be forever in their debt!

Bob Rauschenbach
Rauschenbach Autosports

"Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave."

This is why I love drag racing. Kudos to the teams that responded.

Disappointing to hear there were others who didn't. I'd guess that is because in this day and age, it is natural to be skeptical of the authenticity of such a message. I'd like to think that was the reason, at least.

Very nice gesture by Allen and by DSR.
Fast Jack also recently had carried some ashes in the funny car's parachutes. They were dispersed when he deployed the chutes at the end of a run.

Thanx for being good guys, guys.

Last edited:
Wow what a great story! Reminds me of that movie "The Bucket list"! I sure hope Don and Alan see this thread!:)

Thank you for providing us with a very heartwarming story. Just confirms common knowledge that Allen and Roy are great people. And . . . proves that Dark Side Racing is a huge misnomer - :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back