Drag City, Banning Update (1 Viewer)

Well, when I saw this thread I just had to go OH GREAT...another phony news story about the opening of Drag City in Banning, CA. Well, unless the pics are bogus, then it finally looks like this drag strip is gonna happen. I still think it will take more than a few token shovels and a big CAT earth mover to convince me they are building it. For those of you that live in the area, keep an eye on this and give us monthly updates if you would. Well, that is if anything happens over the next several months. Most of you know that this track LOOKED like it would never happen, so being the skeptic, I as well as many (Darr Hawthorne - Agent 1320) have got to see proof.

It certainly isn't happening anywhere close to the blue-sky schedule estimates that were loudly proclaimed a few years ago.

Gee it doesnt seem like 40 years since I put the timing system in at the new California Dragway at Fontana. Fontana is in Southern California isnt it, or do you have to be on the south side of I-10 to be in SOUTHERN CAL.

Gee it doesnt seem like 40 years since I put the timing system in at the new California Dragway at Fontana. Fontana is in Southern California isnt it, or do you have to be on the south side of I-10 to be in SOUTHERN CAL.

Jeff,

I was going to mention that "40 yrs since any dragstrip" had been built in the Southern California area" too, but wondered if some (or just the Marrocco's)thought that California Dragway (previous version and current version) didn't qualify as a full fledged dragstrip since it was built in the parking lot of the Nascar track. I agree with you that it does! I think they should pull that statement from their marketing. It makes them look bad, as if everything else hasn't.

The new track at Fontana, is a racetrack not just lines on the parking lot like the old one started out as. So I agree they are misrepresenting themselfs.

These guys have taken their fair share of lumps from the disbelievers and I'll admit as I drove by once more last Thursday AM and again yesterday evening that it seemed a more distant reality looking at the unturned dirt. That being said, I have sold lots of land to investors/developers that broke ground five years-plus beyond what the best laid plans were originally announced to be and produced successful ventures in the end. I predict this will be one such project.

I wish the project nothing but the very best for a community that could easily support five more facilities just like this with all the drag racers in Southern California.

You can spend your efforts confronting the projected dates that have past or just say "better late than never" as I choose to do.

I must say I raced at fontana when they first started and it wasnt a dragstrip but just a parking lot with some lights and k-rails. since then they have gone leaps and bounds which is great for the socal scene. However its still not enough they need that track open every weekend and could use some midweek stuff as well the addendance at Irwindale is proof of that. If Drag City does ever get completed it will be a welcome addition to a market that really needs a dragstrip.

Are they moving dirt for the track or the industrial park? It is not a drag strip until a race car or two goes down it.

I must say I raced at fontana when they first started and it wasnt a dragstrip but just a parking lot with some lights and k-rails. since then they have gone leaps and bounds which is great for the socal scene. However its still not enough they need that track open every weekend .

Steve, I beleive that there is a race of some sort going on every single weekend at Fontana. The new track is very nice and well thought out.
I think the Drag City has missed their "window of opportunity". With the new Fontana track up and running and Irwindale still going strong, I just dont see why too many people will make the tow out to a windy dust bowl like Banning. The are nicer and more convenient options already running that have delivered on their promises to their customers and sponsors. ;)

Could it be that someone is actually pushing dirt around?

http://drag-city.com/august_24.htm

Marty,

Thanks for sending us the link, and YES it does look like dirt is getting pushed around. One month later and they have leveled some land. I guess they are making progress. Not sure if it is as fast as they or anyone else could expect. I wouldn't know what is an acceptable timeframe for construction of a basic dragstrip.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back