Doug Rose (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
I am seeing on Facebook that Doug Rose had a wreck tonight and sadly passed away (his ex wife commented and said it was true). I remember watching him and the Green Mamba at Atco when I was younger and Berzerko Bob used to tell stories about how Doug would stab himself in his wooden legs at restaurants which would have interesting reactions from people sitting nearby. RIP Doug

https://www.facebook.com/MisfitProd...702643428737/1773356049430052/?type=3&theater

I was fortunate to see Doug Rose and the Green Mamba at the old Tucson Dragway in the late ‘60s. I hate to hear a wreck claimed him.

I got to see him run at the World Series of Drag Racing at Cordova many times as a kid and he was always one of my favorites. For some reason that car always stood out to me and stuck in my mind. RIP, Doug. Thanks for the memories. :(

I am seeing on Facebook that Doug Rose had a wreck tonight and sadly passed away (his ex wife commented and said it was true). I remember watching him and the Green Mamba at Atco when I was younger and Berzerko Bob used to tell stories about how Doug would stab himself in his wooden legs at restaurants which would have interesting reactions from people sitting nearby. RIP Doug

https://www.facebook.com/MisfitProd...702643428737/1773356049430052/?type=3&theater

I had an old VHS video tape that featured jet cars..... in that video Doug himself tells the story about stabbing his wooden leg with a steak knife and seeing the reaction from the waitresses. In fact, as he's telling the story in the video, he pulls out his pocket knife and actually stabs his leg through his jeans.

RIP, Doug.

It sounds like it was similar to what happened to nostalgia racer Roger Garten, who they also suspected had a medical event that caused his accident, and passed away from that, and not accident injuries.

This was on my model building Facebook page
Their is a video of the accident on Facebook, he was doing short burst on the oval straight aways then coasting around turns. Just kept going straight after a blast
Their is speculation that he suffered a heart attack while doing one of the burst.

Video not graphic
https://www.facebook.com/karen.janc...lf5ztDAte7CuHWJmS8iHGfb1HVoUOYKr&__tn__=lCH-R
On her video you can see he is walking away (with help) from the turned over vehicle .
Someone mentions he was OK but he actually had another heart attack when he was extracted from the vehicle.

Last edited:
It sounds like it was similar to what happened to nostalgia racer Roger Garten, who they also suspected had a medical event that caused his accident, and passed away from that, and not accident injuries.
I was there that night and always suspected that. The crash didn't seem bad enough to kill someone.

Doug died doing what he loved. You guys remember Mark Niver, who ran A/FD for years, and was killed in Seattle when he hit the catch net. I know his nephew, who is a Phoenix Police Officer. He told me his uncle died doing what he loved. I guess we can take some comfort in knowing that Doug was still in the Mamba putting on a show. He is one of a handful of people in this world who drove a jet car.

I hope they can salvage the Mamba and put it in Garlit's museum as a tribute for all his years of showmanship ....gotta have the toothy helmet too!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back