Diving championships started? (1 Viewer)

Did not see anything remotely resembling a dive today. Anxiously awaiting your review..,,,,

What was up with Angie Smith and the big smokey, almost half track; burnout? And then can not restart the bike in first round round against her Championship contending husband!

Good grief. There was not the slightest hint of a dive today.
What a great event.

If that was a dive she made up for it with that wild burnout! Other than that, I watched some of the best racing ever, including PSM!

You mean if you had a multimillion dollar investment in a couple of teams, and one of your drivers was in the hunt for a championship, and you could control the outcome of this round, that you wouldn’t do it? LOL

Time to let the diving topic go, IMO. There will still be times when teams make decisions based on what’s best for the tesm. And there’s the case of the Torrence’s who put on a helluva show, as they have before. I mean, shall we discuss the outcome of the 1970 FC final between 2 Candies & Hughes team cars? Overall today’s racing was fantastic.

My guess is that you really wanted Billy to dive for Steve's sweep, but wanted to only start the thread without laying out a fairly limp argument. Why on earth would a guy who races as his living let there even be a risk to a championship season in the last race? Angie is a good racer, but she doesn't measure up to Matt at this point in her career. Taking a dive got it's negative history in the world of gambling. There is no real gambling in motorsports. The economics of motorsports are fragile at best. Teams are gonna act like teams, they won't be stupid with their hard earned money. Fortunately, there are teams like Kalitta and Torrence where they can afford to let the chips fall as they may. Schumaker teams seam to operate more independently from one another. Force should sometimes admit what's obvious to everyone else .... I think our history of dive discussions revolves much more around people not admitting what is fairly obvious. Angie gave us our money's worth today.

The last few weeks prove why the countdown is worthwhile to many of us.

I think since Denso sponsored both bikes it was ok. I usually don't watch PSM much but Matt made it really exciting this year. At least it wasn't another Harley win. Also if she had put him out it would have been one quiet drive back home.

Rather obvious with the PSM 1st RD Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Really, Is that all you have? For the whole event?
I would rather they do what they did, and not some lame ass attempt at smoking the tire(s). At least we still got a show.
BTW, congrats to Matt on the championship

Last edited:
It's too bad that Angie broke, cuz Matt had problems on that run. They said the RPM went to the moon & he had to shut off. Oh, Torrence VS Torrence. That wasn't a "gimme" for Steve. I think his dad wanted to whip him on that race! heh

Time to let the diving topic go, IMO.

Absolutely. In the grand scheme of things, it is what it is. The NHRA put the rule in place about diving, but they have no way, nor will they ever, of proving it. The end result is mysterious tire smoke, moves towards the wall, multiple stalls or whatever. Bottom line, the fans aren't stupid.

You compound that with the fact that this is a sport where money doesn't exactly grow on trees. Like Jeff said, did anyone actually think in the midst of a championship that Matt was going to take a chance? And it was a damn good thing they did what they did, thanks to that air line falling off.

Sean D

Congratulations to Matt Smith for winning the 2018 PSB title. This dude fought and scratched his way to the Finals and deserved everything he got. As for Eddie....running the mouth, then backing it up, ok i guess. Running the mouth then losing makes you an instant legend.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back