Denver TV Coverage (1 Viewer)

Huge

Nitro Member
Don't forget that the tv coverage on Sun for Denver will be three and a half hours on ESPN starting at 2:30 pm ET.

How about ESPN going long on the main channel to show the finals live? After being the red headed step child for years it is nice to see us get some great coverage. Great job to the ESPN crew!

Good coverage from ESPN. Did anyone catch the no no that Allen Johnson did after he crossed the finish line in the final against Jeggie? Last guy that got caught doing that got smacked with a $5,000 dollar fine... Just sayin...

I can't do the live stuff (on TV). I had it on dvr and watched it later. Even then it amounted to over an hour half time show. I tried for 15 minutes then gave up I just zipped through the entire thing.

On the plus side I really like those walking interviews. Not sure what makes it different but the tend to be more insightful then the usual stuff a mic in their face cliche fest.

I watched on ESPN3, thanks to God and the weatherman they pulled it off. Seems like the rain made everyone work harder, but even with the precipitation the final was fun to watch after the afternoon downpour. Afternoon showers are not unknown to Bandimere Speedway and the Colorado fans, those who stayed were rewarded with good racing.

Another fine attempt for NHRA and ESPN, nitro racing is best served LIVE.

I don't like it. Too many tangibles that could happen and we saw one yesterday with rain. Luckily it didn't last long. What if there's a bad oil down or a crash?

ESPN is doing a good job, until they decide to switch the NHRA over to another one of their channels when it runs long, and screws every one of us using a DVR to catch the race while away....:eek:

??? All sports are that way, there's items that can happen that cause the show to run long.

With the exception of baseball rain delays, the majority of delays are actually game time. Things going into extra innings or overtime. A nasty injury may delay things a few minutes (or an occasional Super Bowl lights out issue). Basketball will run long when it becomes a time-out free throw shooting fiesta. With live semi's and finals, we go an hour with nothing. Live finals, sure lets go with it but not two rounds of live action.
I'm a drag racing addict and can't sit through it, not sure how a new fan can (or would) do it.

Drag Racing isn't the only motorsport to face these issues with live programming. How many other series' are affected by crashes that bring the action to a stop, followed by lengthy cleanups? I think all of them. I like the live element.

Any body know, Why wasn't Connie Kalitta at the race this weekend? I can't remember the last time he missed one. Maybe after he crashed in the early 1990's??

Will someone please sit Dave, Jamie and Gary in front of some old Diamond P tapes so they can get educated in how a race should be called and how to ask some decent questions? Those three give me a headache. Also, how many times do we need to see the Wilk v Cruz story from Houston last year? Overall the coverage is good, but when you've been blessed to have grown up listening to Steve Evans, Dave McClellan and Bob Fry the three listed above stick out like a sore thumb!

Will someone please sit Dave, Jamie and Gary in front of some old Diamond P tapes so they can get educated in how a race should be called and how to ask some decent questions? Those three give me a headache. Also, how many times do we need to see the Wilk v Cruz story from Houston last year? Overall the coverage is good, but when you've been blessed to have grown up listening to Steve Evans, Dave McClellan and Bob Fry the three listed above stick out like a sore thumb!

I think they do a good job, especially Dave and Jamie but there is only so many times you can ask the same question. In the time of Dave and Steve the drivers were allowed to show a little more character, today, too many of them of button up corporate cliche machines. While that is part of the job, a better mix needs to be there. Unless you have a Steve Johnson who interviews himself or a Capps or Beckman who can carry an interview, it can be difficult for these poor folks with a mic at the end of a run.

Yes Steve and Dave are the best of the best. I don't think it's always fair to compare everyone to the best ever.

I just upgraded my TV to a smart TV and got a Chromecast unit so I can watch ESPN3 on my big screen. I love being able to sit back and watch Friday night live qualifying, the ESPN Saturday qualifying show, and live Sunday eliminations! I DVR the ESPN- ESPN2 coverage in case I have to miss something. Drag racing fans have never had this much television access to the sport! Kudos to NHRA and ESPN for making it happen!

It does need a little bit of work. I'd like to see more people on the show that know more about drag racing like Mike Dunn. The 2 shows Rob Wenland did with ESPN3 have been fantastic, the best shows they have done in my opinion. Yeah Dave and Gary have been around a long time, they do OK, but they only know the sport through a microphone and TV camera.

Any body know, Why wasn't Connie Kalitta at the race this weekend? I can't remember the last time he missed one. Maybe after he crashed in the early 1990's??

Though I don't know, my guess is that it's one of two things. Unless you live there and acclimated to the altitude, even a brief fly-in visit in that thin air and wicked sun can take a lot out of you, so perhaps it's wisdom, or....he had a business related deal.

With the exception of baseball rain delays, the majority of delays are actually game time. Things going into extra innings or overtime. A nasty injury may delay things a few minutes (or an occasional Super Bowl lights out issue). Basketball will run long when it becomes a time-out free throw shooting fiesta. With live semi's and finals, we go an hour with nothing. Live finals, sure lets go with it but not two rounds of live action.
I'm a drag racing addict and can't sit through it, not sure how a new fan can (or would) do it.

Seeing that I catch the races all now on ESPN3, I don't see the Deuces broadcast format, other than the occasional pre-taping that they do. But I will assume that after the semis of the pros, they would be doing some recap work as well as some in the pits stories (seems that's what they were doing during the rain). All in all, I am pretty sure it wasn't an hour of unwatchable dead air between rounds. What hour of nothing do you speak of, PJ?

I think they do a good job, especially Dave and Jamie but there is only so many times you can ask the same question. In the time of Dave and Steve the drivers were allowed to show a little more character, today, too many of them of button up corporate cliche machines. While that is part of the job, a better mix needs to be there. Unless you have a Steve Johnson who interviews himself or a Capps or Beckman who can carry an interview, it can be difficult for these poor folks with a mic at the end of a run.

Yes Steve and Dave are the best of the best. I don't think it's always fair to compare everyone to the best ever.

That's what I miss the most are some of the characters. Steve Johnson and Force are a couple of the few that are left. I miss Skuza and Hoffman as well as drivers that weren't afraid to speak their mind, like Warren Johnson, Whit Bazemore and Shirley. Even the Pedregons have tamed down lately. Heck, at this point I miss Angelle's crying. LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back