Delay boxes in Comp and SS (1 Viewer)

twok4hd

Nitro Member
NHRA is wanting active participants to give input on allowing such devices. What is your take?

I for one believe all the automatic trans guys will say Hell YEAH and the clutch guys will say Hell NO. That or there will be alot of clutch/transmission stuff for sell as boat anchors. :eek:

I think it should stay the way it is.

NHRA is wanting active participants to give input on allowing such devices. What is your take?

I for one believe all the automatic trans guys will say Hell YEAH and the clutch guys will say Hell NO. That or there will be alot of clutch/transmission stuff for sell as boat anchors. :eek:

I think it should stay the way it is.

They can still use a delay box with a stick. Electro magnet on the floor under the pedal. I wish they would allow them then every one has the same stuff. Most of the old school die hards are dead against it but they are the same ones that will cry foul if someone like Fletcher or Rampy have a string of killer consistant lights in eleminations. The thing most non box racers seem to forget is that you still have to react, so a delay box wont make a inconsistent driver a good driver. My 2 cents.

As a long time box racer myself I say no way. I like to see the underdog win once in awhile with a killer light. Spec button would be a good start IMO.

if you want a dumb ole delay box then go race super gas or super comp. Leave the super stock and comp catagories alone. if you want parody put them on a .500 pro tree!!

This is such a fine line to tread on. But kudos to Jok Nicholson from bringing it to light. Being a longtime bracket racer and a HUGE fan of S/SS and Comp I have mixed feelings.

I have no problem with drivers of the faster cars finding a switch or clutch setup that slows their cars reaction enough to allow them to cut good lights. Heck, that's part of the fun of setting up and tuning the car. To me, its no different than adding or removing tire pressure to try and get into the zone. It's when people with $$$ exploit this liberty to their advantage that ruins it for me. Its one thing to practice and try different setups to find the "one" and keep it, its another to have 5 different choices each race and then switch them during a race to keep the consistency.

I think Ken just hit on it. A 5 tenths, handicapped, pro tree would go a long way in helping from both sides. The faster cars could "slow down" to the 500s by whatever means they want and the slower cars should already be there. I used to race in a 13.90 index heads-up class (500 pro tree) and could footbrake my 3800lb chevelle to consistent 0.520s. If I could do that, a well prepped N stocker has to go 0.510. And my lights were always in a tighter range on the pro tree than in the usual brackets. I think its the "ready, set, go" of the full tree that hurts driver's consistency. Isn't that why the delay box was initially invented? To allow top bulb reaction? The pro tree takes away that need. The good drivers will stay good and the inconsistent ones might find some. I'd like to see that.

I think Ken just hit on it. A 5 tenths, handicapped, pro tree would go a long way in helping from both sides.

The big problem with a pro tree in comp is that comp cars leave at high rpms. Would you want to have an gazillion thousand dollar motor at 6000-7000 rpm for the nearly 2.5 seconds between when the piss-ant L/AA owned by some College Professor leaves and your almost 700 cubic inch 63 Corvette leaves?

My delay box was broken a few weeks ago and I went out with just a tranbrake. My car runs high 7's and it was VERY difficult to react to that bottom bulb and not redlight. I had contemplated buying an "adjustable" button just in case I ran into the situation again.

Professor, I want to know if you thing they should be allowed, and don't kid everyone, smaller engines and/or lower classes don't make it any cheaper...

The big problem with a pro tree in comp is that comp cars leave at high rpms. Would you want to have an gazillion thousand dollar motor at 6000-7000 rpm for the nearly 2.5 seconds between when the piss-ant L/AA owned by some College Professor leaves and your almost 700 cubic inch 63 Corvette leaves?

Excellent point Dave. I knew there would be a scenario that threw the solution out the window. And good on ya for thinking about Vinny's situation cuz I know you guys would be leaving clean there. ;) Another one is the SS/AH stick guy against an SS/PA car. I think the debate on the comp board came to the solution of optional full or pro start. But then again, aren't those scenarios part of the luck of the draw in this format of racing? I guess it doesn't always pay to leave last. :D

i think nhra is looking into the fact of how hard it is to police any type of delay device that they might as well allow them. as long as money is awarded there will always be someone trying to build a better mouse trap. or in this case a slower button. how long before someone makes a button that has 1 second of delay built in. too late. if it is electronic, it can be made , and bought.

With today's technology and "innovative" wiring gurus, any drag racing vehicle allowed to use a trans brake should be allowed the use of delay boxes. With a trans brake in any drag racing vehicle the odds of hiding a box or using electrical/mechanical delay is simply way too easy.

Comp and Super Stock cars are just one small electronic device away from their Super Class bretheren. They use trans brakes, RPM/timed shifters, line-locks, data recorders, two and three step rev limiters, ect., etc. According to the banter, some of them even have delay devices on board. Why not just allow them and be done with the policing of illegal devices? Sounds like a much simpler plan. I think many of the "underdogs" out there would start winning more rounds with delay boxes. They would level the playing field just as they have in the bracket classes where they are allowed. There are clutch cars running today that use them in Top Sportsman. They use the electromagnet system under the clutch pedal and they work quite well. No one would be obsoleted with the allowance of delay boxes.

On the same subject, NHRA should be paying close attention to some of the cars in Stock eliminator. Stock is supposed to be a true footbrake class, yet I hear an awful lot of RPM limiting on the starting line from those cars. Who's to say that racers in those classes aren't using two-steps and line locks to create a mechanical delay system. In my opinion, there should be NO allowance of starting line rev limiters or the use of a line-lock to launch a vehicle in Stock.

I've raced all three ways...full-on delay box, Comp-style with a trans brake and no box, and foot brake. With enough practice I have been able to go .000 in each discipline. But I am/was playing by the rules. Who's to say that I haven't been sent packing by a racer taking the rules way too far? Level the playing field.

Professor, I want to know if you thing they should be allowed, and don't kid everyone, smaller engines and/or lower classes don't make it any cheaper...

No to delay boxes and remember in comp, there are still a lot of stick cars. Building delay devices is possible, but they won't be as good as an electronic delay box.

No to delay boxes in Comp and SS. Yes it might level the playing field a little but if you look at the guys that are winning the super classes, the list first time winner list is no longer than the list in super stock and stock. There are a lot of professional racers in the super classes too. As far as comp, it is already a performance based class, it would just make the faster cars(under the index) drivers better and almost eliminate the chance of a lower qualified car cutting a good light and beating a higher qualified car with a bad light.
As far as a .500 pro tree would only benefit a faster reacting car. I am building a super stock car and it will not have a long throw or adjustable button. It will have a transbrake and I will just try and pick a spot on the tree and go from there. Thanks

I talked with a Texas Track owner who said before delay boxes, you just got up Friday morning and wrote the check out to Edmond Richardson, because he was going to win. At least once delay boxes came in a couple other guys got a win every once in a while.

People who really understand the tree will realize Biondo or Fletcher will only get marginally better on the tree. They're already great at hitting the bulb, but they keep the car set-up in the teens or so just to try and keep the reds to a minimum. With a delay box, they'll be able to ease it on down and set up on a .010 or so. The guy who sucks at the bottom bulb, will get a lot better off the top. He might still suck as a top bulb guy, but at least he won't suck as bad as he did.

The funny thing is, NHRA posted a blog. on the website, and really no one responsed to it. This blog has already got more responses then that one. You need to voice opinions where they will be heard if they need to be, let your division director know what you think on this subject, because this topic is still really up in the air.:)

The funny thing is, NHRA posted a blog. on the website, and really no one responsed to it. This blog has already got more responses then that one. You need to voice opinions where they will be heard if they need to be, let your division director know what you think on this subject, because this topic is still really up in the air.:)

NHRA is allowing only people who have actually raced in comp or SS to vote on this. As a car owner I say good for NHRA.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back