Dave McClelland- The Legend (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
Hello Friends,

This is Dave's son Mike again, and along with my mother Louise, my brother Kevin, my sister Melissa and the entire McClelland family, it is with great sadness that we bring the news of the passing of NHRA announcer and TV personality Dave McClelland.

Dave passed at 9:30 am, Sunday, May 22, 2022 from natural causes. He was surrounded by his family at the time of his passing, which was quiet and peaceful.

Services will be private, but a Celebration of Life is being planned.

In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Racers for Christ or the Drag Racing Association of Women (DRAW).

We thank all of you for your longtime friendship and support.

The McClelland Family

Hello Friends,

This is Dave's son Mike again, and along with my mother Louise, my brother Kevin, my sister Melissa and the entire McClelland family, it is with great sadness that we bring the news of the passing of NHRA announcer and TV personality Dave McClelland.

Dave passed at 9:30 am, Sunday, May 22, 2022 from natural causes. He was surrounded by his family at the time of his passing, which was quiet and peaceful.

Services will be private, but a Celebration of Life is being planned.

In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Racers for Christ or the Drag Racing Association of Women (DRAW).

We thank all of you for your longtime friendship and support.

The McClelland Family
My prayers are with the McClelland family.

Terrible news. He, along with Steve Evans, were great drag racing announcers.
He got his start announcing at Carlisle Drag-O-Way along I-40 in east central Arkansas. It was an old air strip in the middle of Arkansas’ rice country.
RIP Mr. McClelland.

Edit: I spent many Sundays at the Carlisle drag strip from 1970 until 1976. I don't believe Big Mac was still at Carlisle in 1970 but he did talk about calling races there from the back of a truck. I'd like to think he might have previously been in the truck in the picture that I shot in 1970 or 1971.
Carlisle.jpeg

Last edited:
A legendary great voice. One of the best Masters of Ceremony ever, in any arena.
I was on a plane one time and heard his voice around 15 rows behind me. I knew immediately who it was And when back to say Hi. A real Gentleman. I have missed him a lot since he retired.

While I came into drag racing after he retired in watching old videos and races he and Steve Evans set the gold standard on how to not only announce and call races but how to tell a story and convey the "speed, color, drama and excitement" of championship drag racing from the N...H...R...A. Much like Ken Squier to NASCAR, Big Mac will always be the voice when you think drag racing. RIP to Dave.

Dave was always a pleasure to be around and the Ofrias' are deeply sadden to hear of his passing. We'll always remember him racing 'The Tuna Tank" at LACR. Hard to believe it's been 8 years since I took this photo of Dave at one of the Gathering of Geezers (as they are so called) enjoying a little cacklefest.

1794516_661075197288908_95314693_n.jpg

dave and steve evens was an era you just thought would never end; deeply saddened to hear of dave's passing; am blessed to have witnessed and listened to
his wonderful talent at nat. events for a series of years. i remember seeing him out on drag strip early in morning for a bicycle ride. RIP Mr. McClelland.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back