Dave McClelland inducted into Motorsports Hall of Fame of America (1 Viewer)

Really happy to hear of this. Long overdue for a very distinguished individual. You've been known to check in once in a while Dave, so if you do, congratulations!!

A fitting honor for an exceptional person. Well deserved. Glad to have known him since the early 1960's, He really put the background detail and maximum effort into everything he did, from announcing races, banquets, commercials, shows, etc. He made it look easy, which it wasn't. Congratulations, Chase

Some time ago, when Dave was still doing advert voice overs, he did one for the race here in Brainerd. I was listening to one of the local talk shows when the ad ran. Afterward, the on-air host said that Dave had one of the best set of pipes he'd EVER heard in his life, and was wondering who it was. A quick email and I let him now who it was. He was pretty impressed.

Congratulations to Dave on a well deserved honor. Steve Evans needs to go in next.

Congratulations Mac, this honor is well deserved.

1794516_661075197288908_95314693_n.jpg

Not only a true master of racing announcing and broadcasting, Dave is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Congrats my friend!

Well deserved Dave was one of the legendary voices of the sport loved to hear him at the mic.

Big Mac used to do announcing out the back of a pickup truck at the old Carlisle Drag-O-Way about 40 miles east of Little Rock on I-40. I need to dig up some of my old pictures from there.

Ted, I happened (by sheer luck,) to have been there the day in 1959, that Dave began his announcing career; the local guy who usually did the announcing had a bad case of "stage fright" because Garlits was there and was supposed to match-race another well-known racer (Eddie Hill, or, maybe Bobby Langley, I don't remember,) and the strip manager asked Dave, (who was there with a car from Shreveport,) if he would do it. He accepted, and the rest is history.

Very much, another drag racing legend!

Bill

Ted, I happened (by sheer luck,) to have been there the day in 1959, that Dave began his announcing career; the local guy who usually did the announcing had a bad case of "stage fright" because Garlits was there and was supposed to match-race another well-known racer (Eddie Hill, or, maybe Bobby Langley, I don't remember,) and the strip manager asked Dave, (who was there with a car from Shreveport,) if he would do it. He accepted, and the rest is history.

Very much, another drag racing legend!

Bill

That's pretty cool Bill. It's a small world. I sure wish that track was still being as a racetrack instead of as a landing strip for small planes.

That's pretty cool Bill. It's a small world. I sure wish that track was still being as a racetrack instead of as a landing strip for small planes.
I wish that too, Ted... there is not a quarter-mile drag strip in the state of Arkansas. But, they have room at Blytheville for the "Arkansas Mile." Go figure...

Bill

Really miss Dave and Steve (no offense Allan).....I still fire up old diamond P races and get warm fuzzies when they are on the microphone....takes me back to sneaking out of my bed into the living room and sitting on my dads lap and watching VHS taped races late at night. Congratulations D-Mac!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back