Could someone explain the consistency here? (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Mr. Gray got DQ'ed from Bristol for a safety violation. There is a huge gulf between disqualifying a race winner, and a written warning.

On NHRA racer,

The wording is identical, one for Cruz, one for Clay, and one for Smax Smith. "The following action has been taken against Smax Smith for violating the rules pertaining the installation of the lower engine containment devise at the NHRA New England Nationals. A written warning has been issued. Further infractions can incur fines and/or disqualification."

I'm honestly trying to understand- what is the thought process in the disparity of punishments?

Mr. Gray got DQ'ed from Bristol for a safety violation. There is a huge gulf between disqualifying a race winner, and a written warning.

On NHRA racer,

The wording is identical, one for Cruz, one for Clay, and one for Smax Smith. "The following action has been taken against Smax Smith for violating the rules pertaining the installation of the lower engine containment devise at the NHRA New England Nationals. A written warning has been issued. Further infractions can incur fines and/or disqualification."

I'm honestly trying to understand- what is the thought process in the disparity of punishments?
Generally a safety violation is considered more serious than the containment issue.

Didn’t the owner of Gray’s car state that every safety device on the car still functioned as intended, even after the bypassing of the switch?
Again, it was not a mistake that affected the car’s performance.
Give the man’s trophy back.

This exact thing happened to Erica. They DQed the run

It happened to Greg. They DQed the run.

I'm sure that there was another PS driver that had the issue, can't recall who. They DQed the run.

If the precedent is set, then it doesn't matter if it's Q1 or the final, the run is DQed.

I HATE it for J.R. and I know that Mike Janis would never cheat. But there was a safety switch that had been bypassed and the car went down the track. That run is DQed. Just like those who committed the same infraction before.

Alan

Here is Lyle Barrett’s view of the situation. He always speaks his mind and is pretty good friends with JR Gray.

Attachments

• IMG_6028.png
    IMG_6028.png
    1 MB · Views: 359
Didn’t the owner of Gray’s car state that every safety device on the car still functioned as intended, even after the bypassing of the switch?
Again, it was not a mistake that affected the car’s performance.
Give the man’s trophy back.
It was only 10, maybe 15 years ago (time flies when you're getting old) on this board that people bemoaned the "official rulebook" and NHRA's "unofficial rulebook". NHRA is being both transparent and consistent here. Transparency and truth have historically been lacking in the past until journalism, other than the house rag, has asked the questions that the journalists who receive an NHRA paycheck would never ask. And I think the NHRA is a better organization because of it.

Think of the flip side here, if they let it slide and "give him his trophy" what does that mean for future violations? Nobody ever remembers the specifics, or how insignificant the violation, the argument would be "Well you let Gray win with a safety violation!"

Just my two cents.

The one question I have in listening to the Shake and Bake podcast the other day was if checking for the system to be "plugged in" is so simple, and they made it sound like it is, why dont they (safety safari and/or tech) check in at the top end after every pass? Also one common theme in this (at least to my pea brain) is that every team that has gotten dinged for this had electrical problems the day/run before and swapped out "stuff" and did not plug it back in. If I were a team, on my pre-run checklist is to make sure if we had to change electrical components to make sure that is plugged in.

I hate the fact that JR Gray had a wally taken away from him but they have DQ'd runs recently when discovered, unfortunately his was after the finals when it could have been caught a lot earlier in the day.

All of JR'S systems still functioned.
I agree that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Yes, the rules were broken.
A more fitting punishment would be a monetary fine and points.
As was stated, it was not performance enhancing.

It was brought up that a somewhat recent TF winner went across the scales 30 lbs light after a final and kept the Wally. I don't recall all of the details, but I think points and money was the consequence.

One thing too, the way that JR spoke about the whole situation made me a fan.
He would like to see the rule amended so no one else has to feel the way he did.
That had to really hurt.

All of JR'S systems still functioned.
I agree that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Yes, the rules were broken.
A more fitting punishment would be a monetary fine and points.
As was stated, it was not performance enhancing.

It was brought up that a somewhat recent TF winner went across the scales 30 lbs light after a final and kept the Wally. I don't recall all of the details, but I think points and money was the consequence.

One thing too, the way that JR spoke about the whole situation made me a fan.
He would like to see the rule amended so no one else has to feel the way he did.
That had to really hurt.
I think that the concern is more a legal problem if a safety issue leads to a lawsuit, I don’t think that happens with performance rule breaking, I think that lawsuits have gotten out of control especially if that is why JR lost the Wally

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back