Controversial sponsorship (1 Viewer)

Should NHRA prohibit sponsorship by controversial companies/organizations like these?

• Yes - A legal brothel (ex: The Bunny Ranch)

Votes: 44 38.9%
  • No - A legal brothel (ex: The Bunny Ranch)

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Yes - National Rifle Association

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • No - National Rifle Association

Votes: 58 51.3%
  • Yes - A strip club (ex: Jaguars in Las Vegas)

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • No - A strip club (ex: Jaguars in Las Vegas)

Votes: 65 57.5%
  • Yes - A company such as Planned Parenthood or Trojan Condoms

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • No - A company such as Planned Parenthood or Trojan Condoms

Votes: 59 52.2%
  • Yes - A program such as DesignatedDriver.com

Votes: 55 48.7%
  • No - A program such as DesignatedDriver.com

Votes: 58 51.3%

• Total voters

Shan

Nitro Member
Following up on an article I read a few days ago about controversial sponsors and NHRA's right to regulate them and their advertising on the side of cars, I thought it would be interesting to see what your opinions are on the subject.

*** And for those of you who don't know what "prohibit" means (clearing throat ;)), it means to forbid or prevent.

Last edited:
Didn't they disallow Penthouse several years back?

Also I believe with the whole "official _______ of the nhra" whoever fills that blank can be the only sponsor from that Industry. For example I believe Army is the only armed service that can sponsor a pro team.

Personally, I dont care if Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Playboy, Hustler, the Bunny Ranch, whoever sponsors a car. I say as long as a company wants to sponsor a car and spend money putting a driver out there, then we should let them. It should be up to the driver if they want to be associated with that sponsor or not. To me, there was nothing wrong with Penthouse. I will say this, as for the girls being at the track, they werent showing no more than the Brut Girls, etc.

I suppose you were looking to get some talk going within the poll, and with a vast number of responses, and seeing that happening, I guess I'll be the first to bite.

I have no problem telling my answers and explaining my choices.
I voted prohibit them all except the NRA and the Designated Drivers one.
Why?
1. The NRA/DD isn't a company like the rest of them mentioned, it is a member funded organization. If they wanted sponsor a team, I would probably buy into the lifetime membership for myself, instead of just planning to buy it for my children.

2. The NRA/DD doesn't PROMOTE anything - every one of the other companies do. The NRA is simply an organization to protect gun owner rights (whether you believe in them or not isn't the topic here, so do not discuss please).

3. The only other choice that would make sense to vote for not prohibiting in the sense of promoting "typically unsuitable" items would be the condom one, but I feel like its not the job of a funny car to carry a Trojan ad to tell kids to have "safe-sex". I'd rather see "Abstain - Unless you are married and using condoms for birth control" on the side of it. Oh my, that's a radical conservative view isn't it? How 1950'ish.

Not that these peoples money doesn't play a part in the economy, but I have my views on it, and that's just the way I vote.

I could be wrong, perhaps the NRA is pushing for people to throw in their 2nd ammendment right? And driving while NOT under the influence should be legal? If that's the case, rip their logo's off that dragster, we don't need yo' stinkin' money! :D

Oh ya - in response to what Justin League said - I personally wish those Brut/Skoal girls would cover up a little. My kids ain't gonna be able to visit the pits in a few years if it continues in that directions.

PJ NHRA Didn't ban Penthouse, at least when Dunn had it. They Penthouse fizzled on the deal like 4-5 races into that season. At least that's what I was told...

I think any legal business should be allowed to sponsor. I don't agree with some entities listed, but I don't think that should exclude them. I simply wouln't be a fan of that team.

However, as far as the NRA is concerned: If WE sponsored a team, I would dig even deeper into my piggy bank to contribute. The more parents who learn about and use the Eddie Eagle program, the safer our kids will be.

I think any legal business should be allowed to sponsor. I don't agree with some entities listed, but I don't think that should exclude them. I simply wouln't be a fan of that team.

However, as far as the NRA is concerned: If WE sponsored a team, I would dig even deeper into my piggy bank to contribute. The more parents who learn about and use the Eddie Eagle program, the safer our kids will be.
AMEN! Very well said......I thoroughly agree!

Also, I think the models could put some less revealing clothes on. This is supposed be a family event. And I would have a big problem with "exotic dancers" and "working girls" being at the track in their work attire. But, then again, I've seen spectators who look like they could be any of the above. And while we're on the subject of appropriate dress at the track: MEN..keep your shirts on! Most of you do not have the goods to run about half dressed, and you know who you are:p :eek:

A whorehouse is fine to some, but the NRA shouldn't be allowed to be a sponsor. I find it interesting that some people would allow a company that makes you pay to have sex with women to be an NHRA sponsor but a company that promotes RESPONSIBLE gun ownership by Americans shouldn't be allowed sponsorship. Makes me laugh!
It all comes down to morals and personal beliefs I guess.

It was NASCAR that wouldn't allow a Penthouse sponsorship. In fact, until recently NASCAR also wouldn't allow hard liquor sponsorships either.

Just as I have no problem with the current sponsorship by the Young Life organization, neither would I would have a problem with sponsorships by the NRA, Planned Parenthood, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Handgun Control, the ACLU, or most any other organization. I might not root for a team that had sponsorship by an organization I disagreed with, but as long as the organization in question was reputable I think the sponsorship should be allowed.

Sponsorship by companies like Penthouse or a brothel are a little different in my view. I think for the most part the NHRA is trying to create a "family friendly" atmosphere at the race events. If a sponsor is percieved to conflict with the "family friendly" goal, I believe it is reasonable for the NHRA to limit or even prohibit such sponsorships when necessary. The rule of thumb for me is that if it can't be advertised on network television then it probably shouldn't be on the side of a car either.

Last edited:
Rich, you make a very valid point. When Big Jim was sponsored by Penthouse, I didn't think it was a bad thing. If you didn't know what Penthouse was, you would never guess that it was an adult magazine based upon their signage What I mean is that if my daughter had read it, she wouldn't know. Now if they had pictures on the car, that would be tasteless. I guess it is a fine line for me.

I feel it could/should be prohibited if I feel uncomfortable having to explain to my kids or anybody elses kids that I take to the track, or watch tv with, what any certain sponsor represents. The entire idea of being an advertising sponsor is to get maximum exposure for the dollar. That means ALL family members that we want to become fans or just bigger fans. Never mind the wife being offended by a whorehouse ad. Try explaining it to your seven year old daughter and then when she says you must go there because you wear Oakleys and Brut, use Mac tools and buy Lucas oil products.

how do you classify a sponsor as family oriantated? you have to be 21 to buy tobacco or alcohol. you have to be a certain age to go into the skoal trailer complete with scantily clad women handing out free samples. :D not that I am complaining. so you can't use an age as a guideline on sponsorship when there are magazines and other items out in the open that just about any age could purchase. what would be the difference if playboy wanted to sponsor a car compared to crown royal. have you ever heard of somebody crashing a car after reading those interesting articles in playboy :eek:

I wouldn't have a problem with nra or some such organization having a sponsorship. They may not be selling a good, but they are promoting an idea. How far are we from seeing a racecar (most likley nascar) sponsored by a politican during an election run???

With bunny ranch, penthouse types I suppose the issue nhra/ihra would need to measure is if the involvement of those compnaies would chase away other companies.

Lets be honest though, if penthouse or playboy walked up and offered to sponsor a race, maybe some special program ala full throttle or motel 6, then they'd be in. Money talks

FC-PH.jpg

Justin, I remember seeing the Penthouse car when it ran at the Northwest Nationals in Seattle a few years back. And you're right; it was tastefully done.

Bruce, you might be surprised what some of us were reading in our vehicles when we were still young and dumb. :D

I will only add that the NASCAR liquor sponsorship came with strings attached in that NASCAR required that the liquor companies be actively involved in a "drink responsibly" campaign of some sort. As to sponsorship by the tobacco companies, times change - and it's still a controversial issue. But the sponsorships are now regulated by the law and the agreement the tobacco companies settled with the government.

I wouldn't have a problem with nra or some such organization having a sponsorship. They may not be selling a good, but they are promoting an idea. How far are we from seeing a racecar (most likley nascar) sponsored by a politican during an election run???

With bunny ranch, penthouse types I suppose the issue nhra/ihra would need to measure is if the involvement of those compnaies would chase away other companies.

Lets be honest though, if penthouse or playboy walked up and offered to sponsor a race, maybe some special program ala full throttle or motel 6, then they'd be in. Money talks

They already did that. A few years a go, some Senator from Fla. sponsored a nascar truck for a couple of races.:rolleyes:

I think if any of the controversial organizations mentioned here were denied the right to sponsor a car by the NHRA and the organization had the shekels to fight a ban to the highest court there could be some interesting decisions handed down. The real problem is there just aren't enough of any kind of companies to sposor drag racing. Seemed like half the cars I looked at at 131 this weekend were helped in some way by Torco and Knoll. I just wish there were more companies willing to help out for a bit of TV time.

Didn't one of the alky funny cars have a stripclub sponsor back a few years ago? Anyone remember? I heard they had strippers at the track.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back