CAT official sponsor of the NHRA means Hot Rod has a ride for 3 years... (2 Viewers)

Buddy

Nitro Member
Glad to see Hot Rod's deal with CAT went primary for '08, but their announcement of an official sponsor deal means at least 3 years of Top Fuel sponsorship... Whether that is with David Powers or Hot Rod I don't know, but cool nonetheless...

CJ Curtsinger

agreements/contracts - usually aren't very binding.
cat will play with nhra/dpm as long as their marketing objectives are met;
which recently didn't i read something saying they(cat) were very
happy with thier 'mechanic recruiting' via their nhra involvment?
glad to see them involved with our sport.

agreements/contracts - usually aren't very binding.
cat will play with nhra/dpm as long as their marketing objectives are met

Well NHRA requires a minimum of 3 years sponsorship to be an "official sponsor"... I don't think it has to be with Rod all three, or with Powers, but three years in Fuel racing...

I haven't seen an actual contract from NHRA (yet) for that, but I can't see a way for them to get out of it once in it...

CJ Curtsinger

Guys, let's be optimistic! Hopefully this deal goes for a long time.

Wasn't Ameriquest an "official" NHRA sponsor? That deal lasted only one year, both with NHRA and Snake Racing.

I don't think they were an official sponsor, they were a marketing partner... They held an event, which entitles then to being a marketing partner, which carries certain rights such as advertising during that event...

CJ Curtsinger

To celebrate I'm going to run down to the shop today and change the oil in mine. See ya.

Am I the ONLY one who thinks it is funny that NHRA "glommed-on" Hot Rod's sponsor.
Criminy, those guys busted their butts to get that deal. Just seems like NHRA "better dealed" 'em?,?,?

Maybe I'm just too cynical.:confused:

Am I the ONLY one who thinks it is funny that NHRA "glommed-on" Hot Rod's sponsor.
Criminy, those guys busted their butts to get that deal. Just seems like NHRA "better dealed" 'em?,?,?

Maybe I'm just too cynical.:confused:

No, you aren't the only one.
But isn't that just S.O.P. these days!

I slept on my earlier post.
There may not be a LOT of dollars involved to become "the official 'whatever' of NHRA" and mabe, just maybe, it's a "thank you" or an inducement for being part of NHRA.

I recall they did the same after UPS signed on with Bob Vandergriff.

It is just so difficult to squeeze sponsorship dollars out of ANY sponsor, you just say, "Whoa" when you see even a nickle or dime going "elsewhere".

There COULD be some beneficial cross-marketing for CAT here.

Welcome aboard CAT.

Now, can we get John Deere involved again?

I slept on my earlier post.
There may not be a LOT of dollars involved to become "the official 'whatever' of NHRA" and mabe, just maybe, it's a "thank you" or an inducement for being part of NHRA.

I recall they did the same after UPS signed on with Bob Vandergriff.

Jim,

1. It is indeed a lot of money to become an "official" sponsor... It depends upon what sort of company you bring in... If MAC tools wanted it, they would have to spend more because there are already at least 3 major sponsorships dealing with tools (Matco, Snapon, MAC)... Which I think is part of why no tool is the official sponsor right now...

2. NHRA doesn't give "thank-you" sponsorships... I bet CAT put down around $400,000 to get that decal that says "official sponsor"... There are exceptions to their marketing rules (like Dasani, Sioux City, Maingate, R.E., etc.) that bypass the required million dollar Fuel sponsorship... But they still go to the advantage of NHRA (always)... Dasani is of course linked wth Powerade, Maingate sells NHRA's stuff, R.E supplies all the electronics you see on official's heads...

3. NHRA didn't swoop in and take money from UPS/Bob (if thats what you meant in your last sentance)... Bob is one smart man who put the whole UPS deal together, and to complete his package (no pun intended) he had to have them get the "official sponsor"... With the official sponsorship, you are allowed grounds on all NHRA events (as well as marketing in ND and on site) which Bob and UPS wanted... The whole trackside delivery was a big part of UPS's ROI... So they had to work with NHRA to do that...

CJ Curtsinger

Last edited:
Jim,

2. NHRA doesn't give "thank-you" sponsorships... I bet CAT put down around $400,000 to get that decal that says "official sponsorCJ Curtsinger

As you say, not an immaterial amonut of money but, should be less than 5% of the total cost of sponship if over 3 years.

Not to ask a dumb question: What are the official - blank - of the NHRA.
I mean, they make engines, heavy equipment, etc., etc. Lots O Stuff!

Jim,

That number is paid every year... So for three years if it was $400,000 it would be 1.2million... But NHRA can ask for up to $800,000 a year (though I doubt CAT's deal is that much)...

CJ Curtsinger

Jim,

That number is paid every year... So for three years if it was $400,000 it would be 1.2million... But NHRA can ask for up to $800,000 a year (though I doubt CAT's deal is that much)...

CJ Curtsinger

$400K EACH year!!!!

WELL! I now revert to my original cynical observation.

Well Jim, your observation is noted... But wouldn't you feel more secure now that they are locked in for at least 3 years? Also, if your sponsor is willing to dish out the extra 400k a year then if they needed to cut back in a few years they can save 400k without you even losing a dime... NHRA isn't as evil as people think...

CJ Curtsinger

Well Jim, your observation is noted... But wouldn't you feel more secure now that they are locked in for at least 3 years? Also, if your sponsor is willing to dish out the extra 400k a year then if they needed to cut back in a few years they can save 400k without you even losing a dime... NHRA isn't as evil as people think...

CJ Curtsinger

OH YES THEY ARE!!!! I have had a go-around with them...I don't want to get too specific, but they denied a sponsor that I had ready to go on a full 3-year deal back in 2003 for the '04, '05, and '06 season for a full fuel funny car program...They threatened to not let us park the transporter on the grounds, which was complete bullsh!t....

That's all I can really say about it at this point, but trust me, if they can't get their hooks in it, they aren't happy about it....

Oh, and by the way, this sponsor was a media company that could have done ONE article about the sport and given the NHRA more coverage than they had gotten all year to that point....Pretty dumb, huh....

Oh, and our souvenir trailer? That would have given the NHRA another $500,000 per year, based on the rules of their merchandising program, too...

Don't EVEN get me started about those idiots in Glendora....well, actually ONE idiot that was responsible for the whole fiasco...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back