Boycott Absolut vodka (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
This is Absolut's new ad running in Mexico:

1absolutkb4.jpg

"In an Absolut World anything can happen including getting the US-Mexico border straight once and for all."

Gateway Pundit: Drink Absolut Vodka-- Bring Back Mythical Aztlan

Absolut-ly Insulting · snapped shot

Michelle Malkin Absolut Reconquista Update: Coming to a billboard near you?

One of Michelle's readers wrote to the head of Absolut:
Dear Mr. Moran–

I didn’t know Absolut could give a person that big a buzz to commit such poor judgment. I’ve got to give your company’s brand a try.

I suppose in Germany, your company is running the “Deutschland, uber alles” ad campaign — with a map showing all of Europe and Russia under the swastika moniker of the Third Reich. If your company moves quickly, I think it can hire the open car racing president for the TV ad part of the campaign–I understand he and his “associates” already have the necessary uniforms for the role. (They apparently also have some camera equipment for further cost efficiency.)

Keep up the good work–I love the theme, and I’m sure it will be a real winner.
:D

Here's a better version from another Michelle reader:
myabsolutworldro4.jpg

Last edited:
Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!
The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.

2383371667_df5fc24e2d.jpg

The billboard and press campaign, created by advertising agency Teran\TBWA and now running in Mexico, is a colorful map depicting what the Americas might look like in an "Absolut" -- i.e., perfect -- world.

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona.

The campaign taps into the national pride of Mexicans, according to Favio Ucedo, creative director of leading Latino advertising agency Grupo Gallegos in the U.S.

Ucedo, who is from Argentina, said: “Mexicans talk about how the Americans stole their land, so this is their way of reclaiming it. It’s very relevant and the Mexicans will love the idea.”

But he said that were the campaign to run in the United States, it might fall flat.

“Many people aren’t going to understand it here. Americans in the East and the North or in the center of the county -- I don’t know if they know much about the history.

“Probably Americans in Texas and California understand perfectly and I don’t know how they’d take it.”

Meanwhile, the campaign has been circulating on the blogs and generating strong responses from people north of the border.

“I find this ad deeply offensive, and needlessly divisive. I will now make a point of drinking other brands. And 'vodka and tonic' is my drink,” said one visitor, called New Yorker, on MexicoReporter.com.

Reader Paul Green goes into a discussion on the blog Gateway Pundit of whether the U.S. territories ever belonged to Mexico in the first place, and the News12 Long island site invited people to boycott Absolut, with one user, called LivingSmall, writing: “If you drink Absolut vodka, you can voice your approval or disapproval of this advertising campaign with your purchases. I know I will be switching to Grey Goose or Stoli and will never have another bottle of Absolut in my house.

“Hey Absolut ... that's my form of social commentary.”

-- Deborah Bonello and Reed Johnson in Mexico City

La Plaza : Los Angeles Times : Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!

I would think this is noise over nothing.

They are pandering to their potential customer base. They are selling to Mexicans and they want to dig into their national spirit.

If they ran a similar ad here but had a the US covering the world nobody would say a word. What if they just had the US covering the middle east...or even a parking lot? Natonal pride kicks in for many, some laugh.

I could see if this were some ad saying screw the US (or whatever country) but its not.

Think of it this way, at the drag race on the Motel 6 vision or even on the espn2 coverage they show many ads. Companies show ads with drag racing personalities. To have some ice skater come on then to sell us some car part wouldn't really help them much. Part of advertising and marketing is knowing who the client is.

I wonder if Asian countries got all up in arms, When tracks would drop rice burners from cranes or crush them in front of cheering American crowds?

They are pandering to their potential customer base. They are selling to Mexicans and they want to dig into their national spirit.

If they ran a similar ad here but had a the US covering the world nobody would say a word.
Wanna bet?

if caucasian USA does not get the term 'family' re-figured out and understand
that 'family' means having children, then that billboard 'border' will
eventually practically be true.

I'm Ashamed to be a Swede. but then,go back 150 years and the entire world map would look different. go back 520 years and there would be no north or south America on any map.

Thankfully I only drink Bourbon.

d'kid

i can't afford to throw away the bottle i have on my counter :D

figures though...i drift from the captain and this crap pops up

The Mexican leaders must be pulling off the same trick that the ones in the Middle East do. Fleece their own people while somehow convincing them that it's the United States' fault that they're poor. I believe the number was $3 billion that they found in Arafat's bank accounts around the world after he died, money he embezzled that was supposed to have helped the Palestinians and, that was never reported in Arabic. It seems like there's an attitude of "We're coming to your country because ours sucks and we can't make any money there but, by the way, we don't like you."

Sure is a helluva lot different attitude than I hear about the folks who came in through Ellis Island from the rest of the world. When I deliver cabinets to shops in the northeast each week, I hear a lot of those stories through siblings. I often wonder what it must be like for your home country to be bad enough that you're willing to leave it for one that's better. How many millions of people have had to go through how much emotional difficulty with their families just to do that? How many people don't go and end up wishing they did? I'm always asking foreigners about that to try to see it through their eyes as much as possible. Difficulties most of us will never have to face.

Last edited:

They are pandering to their potential customer base.
And pissing off their already established customer base in the process. Not a very smart business move.

If they ran a similar ad here but had a the US covering the world nobody would say a word. What if they just had the US covering the middle east...or even a parking lot?
You start this sentence with an "if" which means it hasn't happened yet and if it does ever happen (which I seriously doubt it will after the back lash they got over this ad) I strongly suspect that the backlash from the countries whose territory was overshadowed by the US would be fierce.

I could see if this were some ad saying screw the US (or whatever country) but its not.

Actually they are giving a big F.U. to the United State's sovereignty by redrawing the borders. I see that you live in Ann Arbor Michigan, several thousand miles from the US/Mexico border. I live about 60 miles from the border and see on a daily basis numerous hispanics (both legal citizens and illegal aliens) who think that California is still Mexico's territory. This ad campaign serves to reinforce this thinking and is the same as flipping the bird to all US citizens who respect our borders.

I wonder if Asian countries got all up in arms, When tracks would drop rice burners from cranes or crush them in front of cheering American crowds?

Why should they Asian countries care if we pay for their goods and destroy them? They made money off the deal so what difference is it to them.

You're right I live no where near the mexi border, here we don't have to worry about Canadians trying to snowmobile acorss the border. Of course they have to watch us for beer runs but thats another thread:D

I'm not saying I agree with the ad I just thinks its odd how people have reacted. If this were on Saturday night live, everybody would laugh. The counter ad with the fence its very funny. Absolut could have come up with similar ads for each country that they sell in. Each tapping into the national pride, nothing wrong with that. Part of national pride is the belief that your country is the best. Maybe if they had done so and released them all at once it wouldn't be as bad.
Many Mexicans believe that map to be correct, which is also one reason why they feel they have every right to cross over.
Many American would like to see the map would the fence become reality. It seems hypocritical to get bent over one and not understand the other.

The other thing I find intriguing is how many of the people I have heard complain about this, here and elsewhere, seem to be the same people that hate politcal correctness and the blame the "liberal left" for such things. Seems this is the same type of thing.

I guess I just look at who they are marketing to and where. If this ad ran in the states then yes its a slap in the face to us but it didn't. Does a company running an ad to people in Italy need to worry if it induces too much national pride in them and it might anger the Greeks?

Actually they are giving a big F.U. to the United State's sovereignty by redrawing the borders. I see that you live in Ann Arbor Michigan, several thousand miles from the US/Mexico border. I live about 60 miles from the border and see on a daily basis numerous hispanics (both legal citizens and illegal aliens) who think that California is still Mexico's territory. This ad campaign serves to reinforce this thinking and is the same as flipping the bird to all US citizens who respect our borders.

Amen to that!
I'm 400 miles from the border, and see it almost everyday here as well. We have one lady in particular who won't speak english, she brings her daughter in to translate. Recently, we had a bit of a spat with her, and some Spanish slang came out of her mouth directed towards me, and I understand some from being in California this long. I don't mind those that our here legally to better themselves, but it is the U.S. Learn the laws, and speak our language, thank you very much.

I drink Hanger One Vodka so I couldn't care less about Absolute!
Hanger One is produced in Alameda at an old hanger at the Old Naval Station in the Bay Area it's one of the top premier Vodka's produced.

PJ, I think the big thing is that illegal immigration has become such a major issue. I strongly dis-agree with the ad, but had it been ran 10 or 15 years ago, it may have not been as big a deal as it is in today's world.

PS --- how would I post a video that someone emailed to me? It is an immigration related issue that really chapped me. Can someone host it or something like that?

PS --- how would I post a video that someone emailed to me? It is an immigration related issue that really chapped me. Can someone host it or something like that?
The easiest way would be to make a YouTube account and upload it there, then post the link.

You just can't make this stuff up:
In an ABSOLUT World All Men Are Created 'Equal' and Gay Marriage Is a Celebrated Reality

World's Most Iconic Vodka Unveils First-Ever Gay and Lesbian Creative as Part of its 'In An ABSOLUT World' Campaign

With its tongue planted firmly in its cheek, ABSOLUT® VODKA, the world's most iconic vodka, unveils its first-ever LGBT-specific creative stemming from its 'In An ABSOLUT World' campaign. Embracing both the humorous and socially conscious, ABSOLUT challenges the status quo by presenting a bold and optimistic worldview that speaks directly to gay men and women. The campaign visually answers the questions "what if everything in the world were approached with the same ideals that ABSOLUT approaches vodka?"

The brand's two new, daring print ad executions include: "Ruler," a humorous look at gay men and their fascination with perfect, eight-inch "member" measurements, while "Stadium" engages on the issue of gay marriage when one half of a gay couple "pops" the question during a sports outing. Created by SPI Marketing/Moon City in New York, these new lifestyle-driven ads build on a heritage of advertisements that prominently featured gay artists since 1984.

"As a long-time supporter of the gay and lesbian community, we acknowledge that you can't simply speak to gay men and lesbians as consumers, but instead need to make real connections to their lives which we believe we are achieving with our new creative executions," said Jeffrey Moran, ABSOLUT® spokesperson. "As a company, we respect gay men and lesbians not simply in advertising messages, but behind the scenes as well. We're not gay-washing here."

The preferred brand of vodka for gay and lesbian consumers, ABSOLUT® was one of the first major brands to place an ad in a gay magazine 27 years ago and is a long-time supporter of events and causes important to the gay and lesbian community. The brand will continue its place in gay and lesbian print publications with new creative, tailored to this target audience, and move beyond to www.absolut.com where visionaries and online users from around the world are encouraged to share and discuss their visions of an Absolut world.

John Nash, President of Moon City, the agency responsible for the execution of the new gay ads explains, "These two new visions bring a perspective to the 'In An ABSOLUT World' campaign that was inspired by a gay point of view, but can easily be appreciated by many people. Gay men and women have long felt connected to the artistic legacy of the brand and these new ads leverage that connection by making the brand relevant in a smart, personal way for gay men and lesbians today."

The gay-specific "In An ABSOLUT World" advertisements will begin appearing in local and national LGBT media in late March.

In an ABSOLUT World All Men Are Created 'Equal' and Gay Marriage Is a Celebrated Reality: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Watch this vid, Glenn Beck makes many good points. Listen especially close to his comment about Germany. YouTube - Glenn Beck on Absolut Vodka; American-haters

There are some good points there. A map of with no Isreal or of Nazi Germany controlling Europe would be in bad taste anywhere(well almost anywhere) and does go beyond simple National pride. But would we have the same reaction if they had this ad showing in Italy but the map was at the height of the Roman Empire or if the ad was in England where at one point the sun never set on the British Empire.

He did miss some of the history on the war with Mexico but I don't ever expect any of those type of shows to really go into detail on facts or history. I suppose it doesn't really have any impact on it either. Beyond winning the land we did pay for it (oddly much less than we had offered to buy it before hand) Technically Texas succeeded or was at least attemping to we didn't walk in and start grabbing it.

I guess I understand the uproar to a degree, but its a stupid ad being run in a different country by a product that I don't use.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back