Best Nitro Sound? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
What engine that ran the pineapple juice had the best pure sound?

*1. 354 Early Hemi*
*2. 392 Hemi*
*3. Donovan 417*
*4. 426 Elephant*
*5. Today's 500 Inch Engines*
*6. S.O.H.C Ford*
*8. Big Block Rat*

To me it is the 426 Elephant Hemi...Mopar or no car.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

The Speed Sport Roadster, the blown Chrysler on Nitro version, cuz the exhausts were all at the back of the car. Very unique sound.

This was a later version of the Speed Sport. I think there were at least 5 versions. Original was built in late 1950's & was at one time the fastest car in drag racing at 169 MPH. Chrysler Hemi with carbs on nitro.

How about something completely different - a 430" BUICK on about 35% pop. Doesn't sound like a big deal but this thing sounds GOOD. Overall, though, I love all of 'em but there's something about a Rat on about 98% that thrills my ears.

Last edited:

This was a later version of the Speed Sport. I think there were at least 5 versions. Original was built in late 1950's & was at one time the fastest car in drag racing at 169 MPH. Chrysler Hemi with carbs on nitro.

So In theory, if two 2-motor nitro cars raced each other - it would sound like the 4 wide Nationals, eh?

So In theory, if two 2-motor nitro cars raced each other - it would sound like the 4 wide Nationals, eh?

Well, yeah, in theory. When I first started going to the drags, I saw 2 twin Top Gas Dragsters race. 4 engines and boy, the sound! I still remember that.

Well, not exactly - LOL

For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of two-motor pairings back in the day - first one was at Lions - but they were AA/GD cars. I wasn't aware that NHRA ever allowed double-engine fuelers other than maybe for exhibition.

Actually twin engine T/F were allowed, around 1969 - 1970 (Carroll Bros come to mind). The cars were too heavy & the tires of the day wouldn't hold the power. I don't think they ran much quicker than 6.60's.

Scroll down for photo of Carroll Bros monster. There were quite a few twins on nitro that did very well in 1950's & early 1960's. Lefty Mudersbach drove a twin Olds F-85, injected on nitro, that was a terror. 2 light weight aluminum Olds engine, small cubic inch, so car weighed around the same as blown Chrysler. This was maybe 1962??? Adams & Enriquez ran a twin injected Chrysler AA/FD. Ran 6.79 at Lions & shocked the drag racing world back then. Just couldn't compete w/ 6.60's from single engine cars. Lotsa great memories of these cars. Check out www.twotogo.homestead.com

Last edited:
Not sure what the best sound was but when Herm Peterson had the "Cackle Thunder" contest at the CHRR we were able to win it with "That damn Chevrolet (BBC)" as Herm put it. It always sounded really good until enough stuff fell off or melted at about 1200 feet then it usually got real slippery and quit (as one guy put it - It Blowed Up). Good thing about "Front Motor" cars was you could watch the flames at night - as long as they were at least a foot high and not pointed you were good. After they started getting short and changed color the sound changed and your night got bad - Not so good.

my two favorite nitro sounds are the 'Dry hop' or 'throttle whack ' halting like sound, they make and the other sound is when the engines are first started with alcohol and that moment the nitro kicks in. its almost like a really 'jamming' song, at the point when the 'bridge' comes in. I'm actually searching for a good recording of that, for my 'ring tone'

Want some unique twin-motor nitro? Check out the following video showing the 3 lives of Jim Busby's "Double Trouble". Originally blown Hemi-powered, then the Best Engineered Car winner at the 1971 Winternationals with twin-Indy Ford power. A family friend owns the current version with mechanical fuel injected SBC's on alcohol.

................ the 426 Elephant Hemi ...........
What I have enjoyed from tuning Nitro burners is the many different sounds that come out from the same fuel...

The camshaft design and magneto timing are the two principle factors when burning 98% Nitro for sound competitions...

Most head designs control the amount of timing advance that is ideal without breaking something - - -

The 426 Hemi huge combustion chamber can run 75 degrees - everybody else is in the 40-50 range...

What I have enjoyed from tuning Nitro burners is the many different sounds that come out from the same fuel...

The camshaft design and magneto timing are the two principle factors when burning 98% Nitro for sound competitions...

Most head designs control the amount of timing advance that is ideal without breaking something - - -

The 426 Hemi huge combustion chamber can run 75 degrees - everybody else is in the 40-50 range...

Late round deal for the Chevy was the 30 - 60 - 90 deal if you had anything left. 30 on the Blower - 60 in the Mag & 90 in the tank. Had to have an overdrive on the fuel pump and a really good track.

Roger, the 30-60-90 sounds like a good set up for Lions.

Jerry, Don Garlits switched to the 426 engine from the 392 engine, & he told the story about how he couldn't get the engine to run good until he realized how much lead it took, etc. Always amazing to me how fast those cars went with cast iron blocks & heads. I think Tony Nancy was supposed to have run 238 once with a 426 engine & 236 was the speed record with a 392 engine.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back