Bad ADRL crash at the Rock (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
Bert Jackson, Extreme Pro Stock driver, was involved in a bad wreck on the top end. Initial reports are not promising.

Drag Race Central had notes on it within their coverage of qualifying, I went back to share the link now its gone.

Throttle Stuck

I left the track for a short time and returned at the moment this happened.. very sad... Thoughts and prayers go out to Bert his Family and friends....

Saturday during the day... Cary Goforth and several other members of other teams wore Berts team jerseys for the day.... great show of respect for Bert and the E Love team.......

Billy

Someone needs to talk to the people reporting about the accident One story has him hitting the wall and barrel rolling and the other ahs him off the end of the track, I know it does not matter what happened but at least have the straight story. RIP BERT GodSpeed

Donie.. realy doesnt matter .. but it was both ...

The car did not barrel-roll: http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/19004-questions-remain-following-jacksons-death
“I think what Bert experienced was as freak of an accident as a person could have,” said Love. “The car didn’t barrel roll or anything like may have been reported somewhere.

“Bert was on a heck of a run and it was likely going to be a career best. He was a good driver, the kind you could trust to finesse a car back into the groove. But this time, a slick dug in, and he was along for the ride. The car just darted into the wall and he couldn’t stop it.”
Love said he carefully crafted his words to explain what he witnessed.

As he remembered, Jackson drifted out of the groove in the Pontiac GTO and by the time he began to correct, the car made an abrupt turn into the wall, striking at what he estimates was a 2 o’clock position. The collision caused the throttle to hang up. The stuck throttle and a broken a-arm sent the car traveling down the race track, bouncing on and off the wall all the whole way down.

Jackson was traveling quickly enough at the impact that his car still ran 4.15 seconds across the eighth-mile finish line.

Video of the accident shows the damaged car came to a stop shy of parked medical personnel. Then the engine idled down and the car slowed to a stop. Inexplicably, the engine throttled back up, the car spun the tires and took off again. The car came to a stop in the woods to the right of the final turn-off.

Love only shares these heart-wrenching details because he’s fully convinced his driver was incapacitated following the initial hit of the guardwall.

“We have to know what happened here,” Love said. “Bert was a good enough driver, that if he hung the throttle, he would have pushed in the clutch. He would have thrown the parachutes. When that didn’t happen, I knew he wasn’t in control.”

According to safety personnel on the scene, Jackson’s parachutes didn’t deploy until they were ripped from the the car as it went into the woods.

The ADRL is recommending its adoption and use for the final two events of 2011, but an RF Safety Device will be required for all ADRL competitors during the 2012 season.

A bit of a knee-jerk reaction. No?

The ADRL is recommending its adoption and use for the final two events of 2011, but an RF Safety Device will be required for all ADRL competitors during the 2012 season.

A bit of a knee-jerk reaction. No?

This is being mandated Top Sportsman NHRA 2012. Not sure if Pro Stock has it, looks like to me that any cars capable of running 200mph will have to have it. It's all about safety and I'm for that.

This accident was a great loss to his family and the Drag Racing community we are all praying them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back