ARMY Leaving DSR and NHRA (1 Viewer)

That’s too bad, they’ve had a good partnership over the years and Sarge/DSR have done a phenomenal job promoting them.

Ouch,wonder if tony will retire,he talked about it awhile back.

My gut says Tony will run a funny car before he retires.

The Army deal was a good run. Nice of them to tell them this time of year vs October also.

I see DSR drastically shrinking in size over the next few years. With the Army gone and the charity money cars only good for the next 2 years, it’s gonna be tough to find enough corporate money to keep all those teams going. NAPA and Matco have also been around a long time, how much longer till they move on? Hopefully I’m wrong and some new sponsors step up.

As long as the economy cotinues to rebound as strong as it is, I am betting someone will step up to pick up Tony's car. Shoe's organization is 100% professional and knows how to work with and maximize sponsor exposure.

A driven businessperson may wince for a moment as the door closes, but it's just another opportunity to succeed and they will quickly focus their efforts on the new opportunity. It's why people like Shoe choose this hobby .... he can do many, many other things with his time, but Don chooses this one. I hope he stays active in the sport for many years to come. He and Tony did a great job for the Army.

Most people who see challenges as the beginning of the end, simply have no idea how people like Shoemacher operate. They see them as lucky ... but its a process driven by a passion to succeed and the realization that failure is a key component to success. Don't get me wrong, I don't see the Army sponsorship leaving as failure.

Everything has an end.....Budweiser, Castrol GTX, Winston, McDonalds, GM Performance Division....brands we thought were close to permanent fixtures on the NHRA circuit....

What inquiring minds want to know is...how did Don ever find the will to carry on drag racing after losing the Wonder Bread sponsorship? ~:)~

6439e20b994cb99e89472e15351adb05.jpg

That's crazy. I just read that the NHRA provides the biggest return as far as putting butts in Army recruiters seats. They get more return from the NHRA than any other recruiting effort.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that a longtime employee - one that was a champion of the sponsorship - left and the one that replaced him said, "Nope we are not spending any more money on a drag car." Has happened many times before with sponsorships in the past.

That's crazy. I just read that the NHRA provides the biggest return as far as putting butts in Army recruiters seats. They get more return from the NHRA than any other recruiting effort.

Someone on Facebook blamed the millennials by saying that 18-24 year olds don't go to drag races that much and that is what the army usually targets. Guess that person is wrong.

As much as I don't want to see this sponsorship end, I thank the ARMY for all the years they've been there. Seeing ARMY on one race car or another has been a fixture in our sport for decades.

yiu all Remember they gave Prudhomme first dibs on the Army Deal, but turned it down since it wasn’t enough to find a team?

If I was a betting man, I would bet that a longtime employee - one that was a champion of the sponsorship - left and the one that replaced him said, "Nope we are not spending any more money on a drag car." Has happened many times before with sponsorships in the past.

You never know, but someone who is a fan of the sport in the Marketing Dept at any company certainly helps

What inquiring minds want to know is...how did Don ever find the will to carry on drag racing after losing the Wonder Bread sponsorship? ~:)~

"Although Schumacher’s efforts certainly brought new luster to the Wonder Bread deal, the Continental Baking group pulled out of their sponsorship before the start of the 1974 season, and Schumacher retired from driving at the end of that season and remained out of the sport until son Tony began racing in the mid-1990s. "

The Army hung with NHRA long after dropping NASCAR in 2012.
Tony Schumacher did a great job representing the Army, and it's going to be strange seeing another sponsor's name on his car next year.
If anybody can find another sponsor to fund the team, it's DSR.

wasn't there sum sort of non-compete clause where the army held exclusive rites to the nhra? (within the military branches)....i would be very surprised to
see another military branch step up as a sponsor......army/dsr/tony was a long and successful run. congrats to them.....the 'youth in education services' held at
each nat. event over the years IMO was an outstanding program. it brought in youth for a seminar in a real world setting talking about opportunities in motorsports
and the army; i believe this program was deamed very successful by upper military mgm't.? ......would be interesting to know why the change of direction.

I wonder how the Army could do better than NHRA? Lots of young people see it, identify with Tony, who is a great spokesman for both his sponsor and the sport and if they're on the fence about enlisting, get to talk to someone in a lower pressure setting like the track. Sorry to see them go, I love seeing the military represented at the drags, and hope DSR finds someone soon to partner with.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back