anyone have an insight (1 Viewer)

Butch

Nitro Member
To what happened with Billy Torrence being a E1 no show against Steve? Did they decide to dive or is there more to it than that?

Was wondering that myself. He at least could show up and stage the car. There are plenty of things that can be done to "give it away":rolleyes:

The Capco cars have always raced heads up in the past. I am surprised Billy would do that but, it is their choice. I asked the question awhile back if team orders happened how would you prefer it to go down. Personally I would rather see the two cars stage and diver shut off at 300' so you give the fans the optics of a race.

It's a no-win for him. He shows up and takes an obvious dive and you will criticize him. He doesn't show up and you criticize him.
I would not criticize him if he would of staged. At least show up to the line. Now if something happened to Billy and he couldn't make it , then I understand if that's what happened.

Guys pro drag racing has changed and not for the better. I was asked years ago by the further world champion in top fuel what it would take for me to LOSE this round. I told him the only way I will lose this round is if the motor does not start. I told the owner Bob Richardson (rip) what was said and he told me it WILL start it did and I won that round. that was when drag racing was drag racing.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter and (real drag racer and ret.)🤠

Many years ago, somewhere between 1996-98, Angelle was on the 2nd star racing bike with teammate John Myers. They met up in the final in Topeka and Angelle did not come to the line for the final round. They as a team were not going to let her win so why bring the bike up to the line? When you have teams in motorsports there is no way to go about it especially when a championship is on the line. Sometimes the purpose of a two car team is to increase your chances for a championship. When you share a sponsor this is always going to happen. Team Force has done it in the past. Team Elite did it last year. DSR at least did it one time. While I can’t remember any specific situation I’m pretty sure KB, Vance and Hines, Matt Smith racing and Kalitta have done it as well. Years ago WJ and his second car along with Larry Minor racing did it. This is not something new to the sport and will continue to happen as it has in F1, Indy, and NASCAR.

This is also the same reason you cannot bet on NHRA through any legal betting site. NHRA can not guarantee that what goes down on the track is not fixed. I personally feel that we should only be able to bet on a winner for the event prior to the start of eliminations and not on any team after eliminations have begun. Maybe if there is any team matchup the results can‘t be bet on. Legal sports gambling would really help NHRA grow.

Why waste the money and parts making a run? If he beats Steve you guys roast him for taking his own son out, If he's .132 on the tree like Shumacher you guys roast him. If he smokes the tires you guys roast him. It's a no win and nothing he does makes you haters happy.

Who said that we're haters? I don't see Chad Green getting roasted for beating Wilk. If anything, the respect meter goes up, not that they need it or care.

Why waste the money and parts making a run? If he beats Steve you guys roast him for taking his own son out, If he's .132 on the tree like Shumacher you guys roast him. If he smokes the tires you guys roast him. It's a no win and nothing he does makes you haters happy.
First off, I don't think people on this site are necessarily haters, just strong minded,
Secondly, I get the money and parts thing, but in my opinion it's about makeing a show for the fans. It would've made a better impression to at least make an apperance at the starting line and then smoke the tires or have a small insignificant part fail.
And drag racing fans aren't stupid, they know when a team mate lays down for another when the championship is at stake, especially when it's your son. At least make it look like you want to race.

i really don't care what they do. steve's been struggling this year. he needs every break he can get if capco is going to win the whole deal again.
i bitch about short fields, but i'm not gonna' bitch about a racer who tows to a race, then Q, then makes hard decision as a team to sit out.

Make the countdown eligibility top 8 cars, they run only against each other in countdown meets. The rest run their own ladder for a separate pot of $$$ (they get almost none anyway) to help the show and allow them to race. So then a rich team is less likely to run an extra car as a blocker just when the need them and sit out the rest.

IMO. it is about the money and parts. Why is it that there are short fields at many races. In the entire nation there are only 13-14 TF cars who have the money to race? I remember when races would have over 50 TF cars trying to get into a 32 car field. The powers to be have allowed this sport to become so expensive that many decisions are made based on the costs. I'm sure Billy would have loved to race his son but what would have been gained if he had won? These are all business decisions that sometimes contradict with what the racers would really "like" to do. These are decisions that are not taken lightly.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back