NHRA Sponsorships (1 Viewer)

What about Pappa Johns? Was that Before or After Lea had their name plastered all over her dragster that they were the official pizza of the NHRA? How come it isn't Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Little Caesar's? Well because NHRA is waiting for a team to do all of the leg work to lure them to their door step.
Isn't it when a company is an "official (fill in the blank) of the NHRA" there can't be any sponsorships from a competitor?
Maybe AJ's sponsor was told that if they weren't the "official (fill in the blank) of the NHRA" that they couldn't guarentee a competitor becoming the "official" and they would be kicked out?
Something like "I would hate for your business to be broken into but if you pay me for protection I will make sure that doesn't happen."

Isn't it when a company is an "official (fill in the blank) of the NHRA" there can't be any sponsorships from a competitor?
"

Absolutely Not! Lucas is the official oil, Pennzoil and Peak both have a huge presence. Then there's Toyota the Official car, but Ford Chevy and Dodge are all strongly represented. Summit is the Official, but JEGS still has cars, races and even special events (All Stars). I could go on for days......

Being an "Official Partner" of NHRA does bring some value or no one would waste the time and money, but exclusivity is not included.

Waiting for someone to explain to me why NHRA would want to jeopardize another team coming out when they need and very much want more teams out there.

Alan

What about Pappa Johns? Was that Before or After Lea had their name plastered all over her dragster that they were the official pizza of the NHRA? How come it isn't Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Little Caesar's? Well because NHRA is waiting for a team to do all of the leg work to lure them to their door step.

How come it isn't Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Little Caesar's? Easy, same reason they are not on any cars because they do not see ROI. Please explain the process of lure them to their door step?

i also find it very hard to believe the NHRA would thwart any sponsorship of any participant, in any way. at most they might offer an existing sponsor the opportunity to become a race sponsor or 'official' in addition to backing a racer, but I cant believe they would try and convince said sponsor to support themselves instead of the racer

I think it was after Leah got them.

I find this hard to believe. How would this work for Capco, Kalitta and Scrappers?
Those are self funded teams, for the most part. Sealmaster became the official ‘whatever’ of NHRA. Maybe there’s a dollar amount limit for this to happen

Those are self funded teams, for the most part. Sealmaster became the official ‘whatever’ of NHRA. Maybe there’s a dollar amount limit for this to happen

Self funded? Makes no sense at all. still has a corporate name on the side of the car. My point its BS NHRA is stealing sponsors or making them sponsor the NHRA if they want there name on a car. NHRA would have been out of business and investigated a long time ago for those business practices.

I have no real knowledge BUT, becoming the official "whatever" of NHRA may be small dollars. I seem to recall some years ago a VERY CHEAP cost to sponsor a national event. Seriously, it may be peanuts next to the cost of a primary sponsorship of a DSR or JFR = supplemental exposure.

i also find it very hard to believe the NHRA would thwart any sponsorship of any participant, in any way. at most they might offer an existing sponsor the opportunity to become a race sponsor or 'official' in addition to backing a racer, but I cant believe they would try and convince said sponsor to support themselves instead of the racer

This is nothing new. Many racers in the past have quietly talked about NHRA "stealing" sponsors. No way should they "offer" an existing sponsor an opportunity, especially if the cost to sponsor an event is less than sponsoring a team. That is like your supplier going to your customer to sell direct. Not only does it happen on the national level, it also happens on local levels. You can say what you want but it has happened...

Alan, my understanding is you cannot have a sponsor who is in competition with "THE" major series sponsor, which is Coca Cola's product Mello Yello for the Professional classes. As long as Coca Cola has the Series sponsorship no products that compete with any of theirs are allowed without their approval. You buy the series you have exclusivity. Force's have Monster because Coca Cola and Monster have a partner relationship on some of their products.
This has been an ongoing issue for years. Was the same with Winston. You could not have a cigarette product that competed with any American Tobacco Company product.

Eugene, probably won't make it until later January. Miss seeing you there

Absolutely Not! Lucas is the official oil, Pennzoil and Peak both have a huge presence. Then there's Toyota the Official car, but Ford Chevy and Dodge are all strongly represented. Summit is the Official, but JEGS still has cars, races and even special events (All Stars). I could go on for days......

Being an "Official Partner" of NHRA does bring some value or no one would waste the time and money, but exclusivity is not included.

Waiting for someone to explain to me why NHRA would want to jeopardize another team coming out when they need and very much want more teams out there.

Alan
Thank you for the correction

Alan, my understanding is you cannot have a sponsor who is in competition with "THE" major series sponsor, which is Coca Cola's product Mello Yello for the Professional classes. As long as Coca Cola has the Series sponsorship no products that compete with any of theirs are allowed without their approval. You buy the series you have exclusivity. Force's have Monster because Coca Cola and Monster have a partner relationship on some of their products.
This has been an ongoing issue for years. Was the same with Winston. You could not have a cigarette product that competed with any American Tobacco Company product.

Eugene, probably won't make it until later January. Miss seeing you there

Pretty sure Winston was still the title sponsor when the Camel/Smokin Joe's teams were around for Whit and Jim Head. It seemed to become a much bigger issue after Winston was gone.

Saw on Facebook that Frank Pedregon was licensing in the Worsham T/F car with Jeff Arend on hand at Famoso over weekend; one last test and tune event before closing down for the winter.

Pretty sure Winston was still the title sponsor when the Camel/Smokin Joe's teams were around for Whit and Jim Head. It seemed to become a much bigger issue after Winston was gone.

Camel was wholly owned by RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. Same company as Winston. Marlboro however would not have been allowed to sponsor a car.

Series title sponsorship comes with unique privileges that go beyond "Official Partners"

Alan

Camel was wholly owned by RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. Same company as Winston. Marlboro however would not have been allowed to sponsor a car.

Alan

We had Cory Mac in the McDonald's dragster, we could have had Joe Camel Amato....that would have been KOOL

~:)~

Tobacco products were banned from any type of media advertising by the Federal Government.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back