Alternative tracks for Winters and Finals (1 Viewer)

Suzanne

Nitro Member
Regarding the CHP incident, the neighborhoods hating racing at their fairgrounds. Maybe the teams should get together and veto Pomona as a track they will race at.
Sonoma will give them the hassells if they dont conform but that track as far as Ive heard noone had trouble before.
Move the first and last race to Las Vegas, or whatever 1 or 2 tracks the racers favor most, that has the best weather potential to host the important venues. They could double up at other tracks to make up for the 2 events held at Pomona.

Let the revenues just fade away that the area benefits from when the race is in town and let the cities deal with that loss too.
Let the teams show thier disfavor with this entire stressful and costly adventure and be done with it. Just my two cents.
Personally Id vote for Las Vegas for both or Las Vegas and maybe Thunder Valley to replace Pomona.

HELL F*CKING NO!!! I love Pomona and would be bummed out if it ever got scrapped, luckily it will never happen. ;)

Pomona is the last standing venue for where drag racing originated. All you need to do is attend one race in Pomona and you will understand. Every time I am there, I think about how bad ass drag racing must have been 40 years ago. There isn't another race track in existence on the west coast that can offer that I believe.

People can talk about their fancy Vegas track and others, but you'll never beat the feeling you get when you walk through the gates at Pomona.

Pomona is the last standing venue for where drag racing originated. All you need to do is attend one race in Pomona and you will understand. Every time I am there, I think about how bad ass drag racing must have been 40 years ago. There isn't another race track in existence on the west coast that can offer that I believe.

Drag racing 40 years ago was 1320 feet.

And Pomona had at least 5 other tracks as neighbors.

Times change. And folks in La-La seem to have no interest in anything that doesn't serve their own spoiled self-interest.

I'd miss Pomona, but Suzanne may be right- if the hassle is substancially greater than the benefits, it may be time to close that chapter of the book. :(

Im from So Cal. I dont know why but I could care less about that track, history or not.
I still remember the historical tracks that I miss, and Pomona would never be considered one to me anyhow.
Vegas just has so much to offer after the night of racing is done. I really enjoy that aspect of it alot besides a nice place to watch the races.
I just think that after the treatment of the teams there by the CHP, they might consider moving the race away.
Give the extra races to ZMAX, the newest nice track that someone spent alot of money on and the areas appriciates the extra revenue.

Show me one track this year that has higher attendance than the average of the last five for the track and I will buy your argument. Its not that Pomona is an outdated track, more like the marketing of the product offered hasn't kept up with the times. Yes the LA market is fickle, even weather aside. The short term memory of the consumer there is short, yet can you blame them. There are many options for them to spend their 'play' money. Really Pomona is a good spot to know if your marketing is working. If you can get people in the stands in LA, I bet for sure you will in other spots too.

Drag racing 40 years ago was 1320 feet.

And Pomona had at least 5 other tracks as neighbors.

Times change. And folks in La-La seem to have no interest in anything that doesn't serve their own spoiled self-interest.

I'd miss Pomona, but Suzanne may be right- if the hassle is substancially greater than the benefits, it may be time to close that chapter of the book. :(

Pomona is going nowhere anytime soon.

It is the ONLY major motorsport event in LA County.
Second largest media market in the country.
NHRA is headquartered near there.
Tons of history.
They have spent a lot of money to build the tower suites.
A "small" crowd at Pomona is a big crowd a lot of other places.
NHRA is the operator of the track, so they keep a bigger share of revenues.
AND, it is one of the few tracks on tour that has a title sponsor, Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. Corporate Dollars speak loudly.

The local politicians will have to legislate it out of existence before NHRA voluntarily looks elsewhere.

As a hypothetical, if Pomona did go away, I think the season should start with the Gators (on the WinterNats date) or maybe at PBIR/SGMP for the WinterNats and then go to the Gators and end the season at Vegas 2 (same date as now). If we still want to be in SoCal ... uprate the March Meet or CHRR to a National Event after some nominal improvements to Famoso, which is also owned by NHRA and has a title sponsor, so the NHRA wouldn't take too big of a hit in revenue.

Last edited:
Pomona is going nowhere anytime soon.

It is the ONLY major motorsport event in LA County.
Second largest media market in the country.
NHRA is headquartered near there.
Tons of history.
They have spent a lot of money to build the tower suites.
A "small" crowd at Pomona is a big crowd a lot of other places.
NHRA is the operator of the track, so they keep a bigger share of revenues.
AND, it is one of the few tracks on tour that has a title sponsor, Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. Corporate Dollars speak loudly.

The local politicians will have to legislate it out of existence before NHRA voluntarily looks elsewhere.

As a hypothetical, if Pomona did go away, I think the season should start with the Gators (on the WinterNats date) or maybe at PBIR/SGMP for the WinterNats and then go to the Gators and end the season at Vegas 2 (same date as now). If we still want to be in SoCal ... uprate the March Meet or CHRR to a National Event after some nominal improvements to Famoso, which is also owned by NHRA and has a title sponsor, so the NHRA wouldn't take too big of a hit in revenue.

You have no idea how far SGMP is from Atlanta!

Im from So Cal. I dont know why but I could care less about that track, history or not.
I still remember the historical tracks that I miss, and Pomona would never be considered one to me anyhow.
Vegas just has so much to offer after the night of racing is done. I really enjoy that aspect of it alot besides a nice place to watch the races.
I just think that after the treatment of the teams there by the CHP, they might consider moving the race away.
Give the extra races to ZMAX, the newest nice track that someone spent alot of money on and the areas appriciates the extra revenue.

Obviously, you weren't THERE!

If memory serves me correctly, wasn't the first trailer issue that CHP/CALTRANS started to slam racers about in Sonoma quite a few years ago coming through on the Western Swing?

And Chris- Lucas off-roading does a decent market in motorsports in SoCal, as does X Games and the drifting series events. It didn't seem like the crowd was down last Sunday, but watching it on TV when I got home, those blimp shots DO make it look pretty thin, andit wasn't anywhere near the crush of Maple Grove when the weather is good or E-Town... Maybe the numbers aren't that impressive when someone sits down and compares oranges to oranges- throw all the issues that seem to come with "keeping tradition" (short track, encroaching neighborhood, LA market with its depressed economy) and Pomona puts itself on the endangered list. Sad, because I do remember the track in its heyday, and its where my pop got his first national event Wally... I'd be the first to say "leave it be" if it came to a vote. I just think other circumstances may be coming into play that may change all of that. :(

Ms. St. Pierre, without in any way meaning to insult you, your comments simply ignore the marketing aspects of drag racing. If racers were allowed to determine when and where the races took place we might have one venue hosting five races – which would be disastrous in every respect.

You suggest giving extra races to zMax Dragway in Charlotte, yet the overwhelming evidence from the two races in 2011 is that they were financial busts. The fans clearly could care less about four-wide racing, which they’ve demonstrated by their unwillingness to purchase tickets. I don’t believe it’s a stretch to suggest they’ll have the same pathetic turnout of fans in 2012.

As to the fall race, there has never been a financially successful drag race in the Southeast after Labor Day. High school and college football rules, and motorsports suffers as a result of that shift in area fan interests.

Toby Graham is correct in pointing out the numerous ways in which Southern Californians can spend their entertainment dollars, and yes, they darn sure are fickle.

And yes, they need to change their marketing efforts, because even with new plans and concepts, they aren’t working.

There is something else at work here, and while I don’t have a single shred of statistical information to back this up, I suspect that a lot of people are so thrashed out from dealing with the traffic Monday through Friday, that it will take something extra-special to get them back in their cars on the weekend. I lived out there for 25 years and cannot understand how anyone can deal with that mess on a daily basis.

I wonder how many prospective ticket buyers, already emotionally used up by their daily drive, looked out the window on Friday or Saturday morning and said, “I’m not driving all the way out there to sit in the rain.” There’s no excuse for Sunday, when it was gorgeous, but maybe by then a lot of them simply said “The hell with it. I’m too tired to go.”

Chris Cook, if your scenario of Pomona somehow going away were to come to pass, NHRA would not wait until mid-March to stage its first race. By then every single bit of media momentum would be on NASCAR’s side.

Bakersfield needs far more than “nominal improvements” to bring it up to national event standards. It has lousy access, not nearly enough area hotels to accommodate the competitors and out of town fans, the pits are far too small and badly need repaving. Not now or ever a national event venue. If NHRA thought that place would work they would have done it long ago.

One final point. It’s incredibly easy to sit back and suggest we start the season here, then go there, then over here, and close out the year with the Finals at that place over there.

While you’re making up your schedule in your head you’re not even thinking about competitive NASCAR events within a reasonable driving distance of your race, you haven’t considered the fact that on your date is the State Fair, which draws 2 million visitors in 30 days, you haven’t considered the massive rock concert around the corner, nor have you considered that weekend is Rivalry Weekend, and your event town and everything around it is already booked by 70,000 crazed football fans.

In other words, there’s a heck of a lot more involved with making up a schedule than just slamming out dates. I know that NHRA works closely with other forms of motorsports to construct a schedule that works best for the racers and the organization. We may not like every aspect of it – I know a lot of people don’t – but by and large it’s a compromise, and we have to live with those adjustments.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.cm

Chris Cook, if your scenario of Pomona somehow going away were to come to pass, NHRA would not wait until mid-March to stage its first race. By then every single bit of media momentum would be on NASCAR’s side.

Bakersfield needs far more than “nominal improvements” to bring it up to national event standards. It has lousy access, not nearly enough area hotels to accommodate the competitors and out of town fans, the pits are far too small and badly need repaving. Not now or ever a national event venue. If NHRA thought that place would work they would have done it long ago.

Hey Jon, even though I don't think Pomona is going anywhere, I stated run the Gators (or SGMP/PBIR) on the WinterNats date, that way we don't have to wait til Mid March.

Access to Bakersfield is no worse than access to Indy. Indy's pits need repaved too. No one parks in grass at Bakersfield. I only suggested Bakersfield as a way for NHRA to stay in SoCal in the alternate Universe that would be a Pomona-less NHRA. As it stands now, I'm amazed Famoso pulls off the 2 biggest nostalgia meets of the year.

It's Not the Tracks, Racers or Fans... JMHO

Anyone who was at the March Meet, CHRR or other non NHRA Drag Races this year knows that Drag racing is Alive and Well in California.

All you had to do as look at the Full Stands and 4 deep on the fence for Sat qualifying at the CHRR.

Understand that most California Drag Racing Fans actually follow the history of Drag Racing and/or Drag Race themselves and they are simply unhappy with where the NHRA has taken the Sport at the national level. (4 Wide for a National Event, WTF?)

Bottom line is many California Drag racing Fans showed it this year by not going to a NHRA National Event in their own back yard.

Remember California has several other Drag Racing sanctioning bodies that treat sportsmen racers with respect and provide several races a year in a fun and enjoyable environment for both racer and fan.

A quote from a close Friend when I asked him if he was going to the NHRA Finals: Why would I go to Pomona for the finals when I had so much more fun at the March Meet and CHRR for less $ and bull****.

Maybe if NHRA would look at where it came from, remember that the Sportsmen racers are as important if not more important than the Pros to the sport, get a Real TV Package and stop looking at other forms of racing to use as a boiler plate for the National Events Series, they could win back some of the fans they lost... JMHO

Re: It's Not the Tracks, Racers or Fans... JMHO

Anyone who was at the March Meet, CHRR or other non NHRA Drag Races this year knows that Drag racing is Alive and Well in California.

All you had to do as look at the Full Stands and 4 deep on the fence for Sat qualifying at the CHRR.

Understand that most California Drag Racing Fans actually follow the history of Drag Racing and/or Drag Race themselves and they are simply unhappy with where the NHRA has taken the Sport at the national level. (4 Wide for a National Event, WTF?)

Bottom line is many California Drag racing Fans showed it this year by not going to a NHRA National Event in their own back yard.

Remember California has several other Drag Racing sanctioning bodies that treat sportsmen racers with respect and provide several races a year in a fun and enjoyable environment for both racer and fan.

A quote from a close Friend when I asked him if he was going to the NHRA Finals: Why would I go to Pomona for the finals when I had so much more fun at the March Meet and CHRR for less $ and bull****.

Maybe if NHRA would look at where it came from, remember that the Sportsmen racers are as important if not more important than the Pros to the sport, get a Real TV Package and stop looking at other forms of racing to use as a boiler plate for the National Events Series, they could win back some of the fans they lost... JMHO
You wouldn't be the same Jim Chapman that I raced slotcars with at Buena Park Raceway would you?

Re: It's Not the Tracks, Racers or Fans... JMHO

You wouldn't be the same Jim Chapman that I raced slotcars with at Buena Park Raceway would you?

Hi Eugene,

How are you? Tried to get by Bodie's pit on Sat but didn't see you. Glad to hear about the new Sponsorship deal!

Take Care

Jim

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back