A couple of dumb top fuel questions... (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
I knew these may sound stupid but I've always wanted to know them...

1. Can anyone possibly make a top fueler (especially the motor) durable enough to run a least a mile on the Bonneville salt flats?

2. What's the cost per run between an A-fueler and a Top Fueler?

3. How come nobody uses safety canopies a'la Don Garlits anymore?

#1 I would say yes, but wayyyy de-tuned, less percentage, bigger fuel tank, and a transmission would probably be needed.

#2 Thousands, not even close.

3. Weight, and air. An enclosed cockpit would require a fire system which adds weight, and also some think it disturbs the air too much going into the injector.

Sam,

What makes you think Don Garlits considered the canopy a safety mod? I always thought it was a streamlining deal, and if enclosing it actually meant it required fire bottle(s) for the cockpit then it seems to me it actually could be considered "less" safe. That could just be an NHRA view though, and not necessarily reality. Anyway, I thought it was cool, but if it did add weight, and NHRA required a more extensive fire system, then I can see why others may not want to try it.

Last edited:
I don't think most drivers would want the canopy. A T/F cockpit has about as much room as a small coffin, who would want the lid?

Garlits did it for aerodynamics, as he wanted to break 300 first with a number of innovative ideas.

Last edited:
The canopies work GREAT - on a top fuel hydroplane! The pro nitro boaters swear by them. They're water tight, impact resistant and shatterproof & are even equipped with complete breathing oxygen systems.

Don't they have Blown Nitro Hemi classes that run on the Flats? I'm sure they probably only run maybe(?) 50% to allow the motors to live.

I don't think most drivers would want the canopy. A T/F cockpit has about as much room as a small coffin, who would want the lid?

Garlits did it for aerodynamics, as he wanted to break 300 first with a number of innovative ideas.

The first canopy car, was the car he wanted to go to 270 with, which was Swamp Rat 30.

The canopy came about when he was hit in the helmet/visor by a bug at BIR in 1985 towards the finish line. His thought was if that had been a bird, he could have been blinded.

Don't they have Blown Nitro Hemi classes that run on the Flats? I'm sure they probably only run maybe(?) 50% to allow the motors to live.
Right, Joe. Al Teague has been chasing the piston engine LSR for numerous years with his Speed-o-Motive streamliner that is powered by a de-tuned top fuel motor. Not sure here, but I thought I read he runs about 40%. It's quite an effort--home built car, minimal sponsorship, all to chase a Land Speed Record dream. I really believe the Bonneville guys are the last of the real racers. No tv coverage to speak of, no big purses, just the ability to say "I'm the fastest". My hat's off to all those guys!

As for #1, Bob Noice runs a blown nitro roadster on the salt.

Something you need to remember about the flats is there is no traction. There is only a certain amount of horsepower you can put down. Some of my customers on the fast bikes find themselves backing off the throttle slightly to pick up speed.
Jay

Last edited:
Garlits_NFR_Dragster.jpg

Big Daddy sure did have big ideas!

Thanks again To Dave Labs who sent this image to me ages ago, as I lost my copy!

Mike

Just a word of clarification;
Top fuel hydroplanes love the canopy. But for other reasons. If you do not have them, you are not allowed seat belts of any kind. Who wants to fly across the water at 240 mph? The force of the water is a main cause of injury. Pavement cannot flow inside the roll cage freely at speed, but water can. The canopies almost eliminate this. And another quick fact is that the capsules are in no way water tight. Not even close. I have one in my garage. Come on over some time and check it out.
And lastly, the canopies keep you in the boat and almost eliminate injuries from the boat coming back to hit you. That is where many people get hurt.
732ntonywoops.jpg

3.jpg

Talk about your picture saying a 1000 words......:eek:

P.S. Hope that driver didn't find out how the boat tasted

I believe this drawing is of a concept car Don dreamed up to see how fast a top fuel car could go in the quarter mile. This car wouldn't have been bound by any rules. The article I read said they would go to the Texas Motorplex and see how fast you could go with any rear gear, motor size. nitro precentage, ertc. Whatever it took.

Jay

I wish someone would give Big a couple of million to build it, and AJ to tune it and see what it could actually do.

Jay

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back