290 on 2 wheels 1/4 mile (1 Viewer)

"As hydrogen peroxide-fueled rockets can only be stopped by running them out of propellant, accurate fueling to run to the 1/4-mile blocks can be both tricky and dangerous." ~:)~

Definitely takes some courage to climb aboard that beast. It's not as if the rider can lift if something goes awry.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the bike is much lighter than an ordinary fuel bike so it would be easier to pull up and perhaps more unstable with a parachute.
That makes sense. I asked in relation to the post above this one from Mr. Carlon. These two variables just don't seem to go together LOL. I mean you have to keep going until you run out of "fuel" or you won't stop but you don't have a chute? Apparently someone's math is very precise to make that work.

I'm just curious how he stays on it for the run. I've heard some PSM riders used some tacky stuff on the seat, but what about the handlebars.

That makes sense. I asked in relation to the post above this one from Mr. Carlon. These two variables just don't seem to go together LOL. I mean you have to keep going until you run out of "fuel" or you won't stop but you don't have a chute? Apparently someone's math is very precise to make that work.
It is true that once you GO you keep going until the fuel is gone. If you pull a parachute while the rocket is burning fuel it (Parachute) will look like a Coleman Lantern Mantel in a VERY short time. About the only thing you could do is to have flaps but that thrust is really powerful. John Paxon said they had to calculate the fuel weight to grams to determine the burn time. Also the weight of the vehicle at the start and the weight change as it goes along with the aero determined how fast they would be going by the time it went a 1/4 mile. Pretty sure no one can even buy or possess that fuel anymore in the U.S.

I'm just curious how he stays on it for the run. I've heard some PSM riders used some tacky stuff on the seat, but what about the handlebars.
1663117354262.png

Man that's probably a long 4.97sec! Always loved the exhibitions, especially the rockets. Can anyone confirm a run at Sacramento raceway in the 70's or 80's of a rocket car pilot that lost consciousness during his run and ended up a 1/2 mile past the track in the fields?

Absolutely bat crazy! Just along for the ride! In the 70's saw the best, Spirit of America, Armor All, Mendez. Unfortunately saw Mendez crash in Gainesville. Maybe wrong, but, don't think they ran at NHRA ever again.

Bret Kepner profiles Eric Teboul in DI:

Bret Kepner profiles Eric Teboul in DI:
Great article!

It is true that once you GO you keep going until the fuel is gone. If you pull a parachute while the rocket is burning fuel it (Parachute) will look like a Coleman Lantern Mantel in a VERY short time. About the only thing you could do is to have flaps but that thrust is really powerful. John Paxon said they had to calculate the fuel weight to grams to determine the burn time. Also the weight of the vehicle at the start and the weight change as it goes along with the aero determined how fast they would be going by the time it went a 1/4 mile. Pretty sure no one can even buy or possess that fuel anymore in the U.S.
Several years ago the Manufacturers Cup motorcycle organization brought Eric over to run at Bradenton. They located someone in Colorado that could make the fuel. Eric ran 5.11 then.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back