2016 California Hot Rod Reunion - October 21-23 (1 Viewer)

Looking forward to my second trip there. I can't believe it took me over 20 years to finally attend one. I'll never miss another one.

That is disappointing to hear.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen or heard much news about the reunion come out other than the typical sign up and run order info.

Bob, I wouldn't think so as they run less classes at the reunion. But more Cacklefest cars for certain.

But we plan on going with out A/G '57 Chevy and skipped the March Meet this year, so there is that.

Bob Doll, the March Meet is limited to 500 entries. Dont think the reunion will have that car count as they run a smaller number of classes,

Looking forward to my second trip there. I can't believe it took me over 20 years to finally attend one. I'll never miss another one.
I think 2008 was my first.....never missed one since. The quality of cars and racing is top notch.

I sure hope the car count is up from the March meet
I think March Meet car count was down this year (guessing) based on an unfavorable weather forecast. We skipped that event for the first time in a long time because of the forecast, and as it turned out the racing was run between the rainstorms. Hoping for better weather next March, and if so you'll see a great turnout.

From the Wally Parks NHRA Motorsports Museum website: "There’s plenty to do at the conclusion of racing Friday night as a special 25th anniversary dedication and ceremony is planned, honoring all Grand Marshals and Honorees from the past 24 years. Following this ceremony, there will be a Ring of Fire Cacklefest presentation. Friday night will be capped off by the Reunion after-party and reception, a great time to renew old friendships, meet legends and heroes of the sport and simply have a great time, at the DoubleTree Hotel."

Last year, the dedication, honorees ceremony, and Friday night Cacklefest all took place at the DoubleTree. But this year, it sounds like the dedication AND Cacklefest will be at The Patch, with the reception to follow at the hotel. Can anyone confirm?

NHRA has made some changes for this year's reunion. I don't know or understand them all, but perhaps Mike has some inside information.

Up until a few years ago the reunions were ran by the folks at the NHRA Museum as a method of fund raising to support the Museum. Now that NHRA proper has gotten involved and the overall vibe has changed. Many longtime attendees have taken notice.

I'll toss this out, Gino its the 25th and its still run by the Museum. They want to make it a little different and special. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a cool event.....miss the bangshift coverage.....mark k., glad to see you made it happen, need to copy you.

Well, I went to the CHRR on Saturday. Had a good ole time.

Some commentary:

• Ridiculous amounts of cool stuff and people everywhere you looked. Legends were everywhere. Legendary machines everywhere. Even current big show people were hangin out.
  • poor job of preparing the land for spectator parking. A guy and a tractor could easily remedy this in a couple hours. They have all 3 of those things.
  • Crowd was decent. Not packed like other years but still pretty decent.
  • The ticket price came down from $30 to $25. A bargain!
  • Track personnel were nice.
  • The girl that does the reporting on the big show telecast (Amanda Busick) is smokin hot in person.
  • The cackle car pits were a clusterfvck. There was not good organization nor access for fans.
  • The AA/FA teams were pitted along the access road and parachute packing had to be done literally in traffic.
  • The swap meet was packed with sellers. I haven't seen it that packed in a while.
  • The vendor midway was nice. One vendor told me that NHRA told him they were not allowed to sell merchandise with images of NHRA tracks because the tracks were NHRA property!
  • Tons of international visitors! I heard so many different languages. French, Japanese, Norwegian, Australian, and a few others.
  • Wow, the French people and the Nords were rude assholes! Some local folks were just being friendly and trying to be warm, welcoming, and socially engaging with the visitors, but they were not having it.
  • Yet there is very little coverage or publicity of this tremendous event.
  • Tons of flying earwigs. Apparently recent CA weather has caused a sudden infestation of them. They're here on the coast as well.
  • The racing was pretty good! No major incidents. Good!
  • N/FC bodies are out of control with the aerodynamics and smoothing of body lines and altering of angles. They are ruining the spirit of the class.
  • Bummed that the Back In Black AA/FC is no longer a nitro car. It appears it has been sold and is now a 7.0 pro car. That iconic GTO was one of the early establishers of the N/FC revival and movement.
  • There were no honorees! What little of a ceremony there was, was done in total darkness even tho the rental lighting unit was right there next to the stage. Nobody got it going and the track lights are on the wrong side of the track. Really really dumb track lighting design. At night we are all blinded by the lights.
  • Those of us in the first 4 bleachers by the starting line were screwed out of the cacklefest. After cutting the amount of cacklecars from 70+ to 40, and lining them up at the finish line where the bleachers were not as populated, they ran out of cars at the 4th bleacher! The majority of people were sitting in those first four bleachers. We did not get to see any of it. People were pissed! Lots of booing and foul language.
  • Evening festivities included a concert in the pits by Da Kingz (Joe Walla's band). They rocked so good. Great time. Thanx to the people who put that together. They know who they are.
  • Saw lots of friends and was good chatting with them even if briefly.
  • All in all, it was great day.

Last edited:
Hey Paul, glad I ran into you on Saturday. I'll be heading back to Santa Maria sometime over the winter and will let you know what is going on. We go to Perko's for lunch and hope you can meet up with us.

The on track action was great, but the behind the scene actions has upset a lot of people. And I mean a lot of people.

Hey G.
Good seeing you. Lunch sounds good.

I noticed tons of race cars had a sticker on them that said "no respect." It had a picture of a gentleman and his golden retriever dog. I used to see that gentleman working in the pits and that big awesome fluff ball of fur always obediently waiting in the golf cart.

What's the story on that?

That is Geno (Eugene) and his faithful companion Harley who helped with pit parking and worked the pits by gathering up each class as they are called. Harley is one of the most low key mellow dogs I know (even if he is a Golden Retriever). Last year Geno was told not to bring Harley to the race track, I guess someone was afraid he'd bite someone and the liability issue that may come with that.

Well that didn't go over too well with some of the participates and they let their opinions known. This year Geno was told his services were not needed and that has really upset a lot of people.

Times are a changing and that ain't always for the better. Use to be a friendly fun time to go to the CHRR, not so sure anymore. We've already crossed the March Meet off of our list, might have to consider the CHRR too.

I'd add my commentary, but i'm always BITCHING, so i'll keep it to myself.

What I will say is i agree with Gino & Paul.

I understand there is a bit of controversy and Steve Gibbs has \ resigned. If so that is probably the beginning of the end of the CHHR since it was his creation. I didn't go this year but I understand there was a near revolution over the new rules and the cackle cars almost left and Gibbs did. If that's true then NHRA should have their butt kicked for allowing him to resign. .

I understand there is a bit of controversy and Steve Gibbs has \ resigned. If so that is probably the beginning of the end of the CHHR since it was his creation. I didn't go this year but I understand there was a near revolution over the new rules and the cackle cars almost left and Gibbs did. If that's true then NHRA should have their butt kicked for allowing him to resign. .
I heard the same rumblings. Also heard that no cackle cars were allowed to do static starts in the pits except for the 40 that were allowed in the Saturday night Cacklefest. Apparently, that rule was later changed, but not before a number of cars and personnel decided to leave. The Friday night Ring of Fire Cacklefest was awesome. The Saturday night one sucked. I've only been to two CHRR's (this year and last year) and I fear it's nearing the end of a great run.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back