2 Rumors (2 Viewers)

Notch1320

BerserkoBob
Nitro Member
First off I heard yesterday that there's a possibility that a new 1/4 mile dragstrip will be built an hour north of Tampa.

Second thing I heard was that Tulsa will join the NHRA schedule in 2023.

Again these are rumors, but I hope both come to fruition.

One hour north of Tampa means this drag strip would be not far from Gainesville.
Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing!

Jimbo

First off I heard yesterday that there's a possibility that a new 1/4 mile dragstrip will be built an hour north of Tampa.

One hour north of Tampa means this drag strip would be not far from Gainesville.
Not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing!

Jimbo

That would put it about halfway between Tampa and Gainesville. Somewhere around Ocala or just south of there?
From Tampa you got Gainesville to the north, Bradenton to south and Orlando to the east, all within a couple of hours (+or-) drive. I hope it happens but somehow this doesn't make sense.

An NHRA supertrack in proximity of the museum, would be cool.. I would name it "Garlits International Dragway Park"

If Tulsa joins the circuit, maybe the race will be for the fuel cars only. The pits don't appear to be big enough for the fuel cars, plus PS, PSM and the Sportsman classes.
Hopefully, the race will be with the fuel cars and Pro Mod.

If Tulsa joins the circuit, maybe the race will be for the fuel cars only. The pits don't appear to be big enough for the fuel cars, plus PS, PSM and the Sportsman classes.
Hopefully, the race will be with the fuel cars and Pro Mod.
I personally like the Tulsa track the owners and spectators are fantastic and the owners will do what ever it takes to make their track a national event quality track.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter 🤠

I remember reading in one of Don Gartlis books that there was a track in Brooksville back in the 50's that he went to. It caught my interest as that is where my brother spends his winters.

I personally like the Tulsa track the owners and spectators are fantastic and the owners will do what ever it takes to make their track a national event quality track.
I've been going to the Tulsa track since National Challenge '72, first as a spectator, then as a crew member on a Top Dragster and a NFC. The track's racing surface is great.
However, there has been more than one occasion where the track's future has been called into question. In October 2011, there were stories that the track was closing in November 2011. I'm not sure about the status of the current lease on the property.
I hope Todd Martin and Keith Haney are able to upgrade the pit area and expand parking for a large national event crowd. I would love to see national events there again.
On a side note, the Tulsa concession stand makes the best hamburgers I've ever eaten at a race track. And the prices can't be beat.

I remember reading in one of Don Gartlis books that there was a track in Brooksville back in the 50's that he went to. It caught my interest as that is where my brother spends his winters.
There was a track in Brooksville: https://dragstriplist.com/florida
Brooksville a nice little town on the Gulf. If it's an eight mile track, which seems to be trend, it's probably geared for local racers from that area, Ocala, Leesburg, Clermont, etc.
There's more hot rods and drag cars in that area than most people think. Believe it or not, I've actually seen hot rods and drag cars in The Villages.

Absolutely. I like this track a lot but he's right the staging lanes and pits can not hold an NHRA national event with all classes.

Bob, when are you gonna ride with Larry Dixon??

That's cool news about Brooksville. I should try and get up there to see the plans.
It's not the only new track that could be built soon in Florida. I read the other day that Callahan Speedway in north east Florida has received county approval to build a drag strip. From what I've read it is targeted at street cars, and all vehicles will need to be muffled.

The track will be a 1/8 Mile and will be in Brooksville Hopefully completed late 22 early 23
Brookville is not an hour north of Tampa.
I live in the area, and it's a short drive either up 75 a few exits or you can take the Sun coast Parkway and be there within 15 minutes.

Jimbo

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back