1969 Hawaiian Funny Car (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
I have been helping a local guy for the past week and a half putting this car together. He has been working on it for the past 2 years.

I have a thread in the Nostalgia secton too. I don't think alot of people check that section out.

Today we got it running and ready to go to bakersfield.

Here are some pics.

DSC01725.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

DSC01726.jpg

Last edited:
More More More... Great pics. Thanx for sharing em....Very authentic looking, is there history on the car?

Way cool restoration

John,

That was one of my favorite funny cars from that era. Your last note indicated this was the original car which amazes me. It sure looks to be the case as that Logge chassis sure looks like how I remembered it. And the windshield-less body looks pretty authentic too. Great job your friend has done!

Yes this is the real car. He has it near perfect period correct. He will leave for Calif. tomorrow to meet up with Roland Leong and then they will go to Bakersfield for the Crackle fest.

He seemed pretty happy today.

DSC01737.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

THAT IS HOW A FUNNY CAR SHOULD LOOK!!! It actually resembles the body lines of a production car. Its amazing how far we have "strayed" from looking like actual cars.

John, sorry I'm late with my post. I had problems with the video, but got it fixed..... and sent to Roland.

Here it is.

Click HERE to see a video of the Hawaiian running today. John Haley was at the controls.

I put together a web page with a few more pictures from today.
Click HERE to see the pictures

Fellow mater Brain O'keefe was there today when the Hawaiian roared back to life for the first time. He has more pics and a short video, I hope he posts soon.

DSC01727.jpg

Last edited:
If the video doesn't work for you, try this link. It's a larger file (and different file type) but it seems to work better.

Click HERE for the video.

John,

That was one of my favorite funny cars from that era. Your last note indicated this was the original car which amazes me. It sure looks to be the case as that Logge chassis sure looks like how I remembered it. And the windshield-less body looks pretty authentic too. Great job your friend has done!

Kurt,

Your avatar looks like a 69 mini Charger also, is that your car??

Yeah, believe it or not, it is the actual 69 Hawaiian body and chassis. The body and chassis were never separated from each other.

Hawaiian F/c

Looking At The "finished" Product Sure Brings Back A Lot Of Memories From Times Far Gone By....... That Use To Be One Of The "terror" Cars Back Then... Sal

THAT IS HOW A FUNNY CAR SHOULD LOOK!!! It actually resembles the body lines of a production car. Its amazing how far we have "strayed" from looking like actual cars.

Your Right Tim....
The Body is 15" narrower, I believe. The front wheel wells are tucked all the way to the front bumper, the rear wheel wells are moved forward, almost to the point of where the door opening would be, the green house is severely chopped and narrowed, the wheelbase stretched 120"... The mini-charger was not legal in NHRA in 1969. In fact, Mr. Norm painted a 'Cuda grill and tail lights on their car to run at Indy in '69...

I believe the rules were changed with the '70 rule book, to 66" minimum body width messured across the body at both the front and rear wheel wells to accommodate the mini charger body...

And lets not even get into the "Long Nose" Mustangs, Camaros, Some of the bodies that came from Ed Wells, The Pinto bodies, the Vegas...

Think there's a reason they are called "Funny Cars"

Nice new avatar Brain. I like that.

Here is a pic of Brian living his dream, He told me all he has ever wanted to do, was hold a funny car body up, any funny car would do. So we had him lift and hold it up everytime we needed to get to the motor.

DSC01728.jpg

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back