Southland Dragways, Houma, Louisiana

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by Rajunz, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Rajunz

Nitro Member

Just wanted to get the word out. This event is in a few weeks, looks to be an outstanding event. So far there have been lots of period correct cars pre-registered to display at the event. Candies Family will have the Wales and Candies cackle dragster along with several others cackling during the day. Candies Family, Leonard Hughes, Touton Family, John Peters, Mark Oswald, Antron Brown, and many, many others from Division 4 and beyond all planning on attending. Friday Night Meet & Greet will have cash awards for the best Southland stories.

www.southlanddragway.com

[​IMG]

#1 Rajunz, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cliff

Nitro Member

Hope a lot of people attend. This should be a fun event!

3. Reese

Nitro Member

Looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SundayNiagara

Nitro Member

Been a long time since I've heard anything about Leonard Hughes?

5. Boo

Boo
    Nitro Member

Leonard seems to be doing very well. He attended some of Southland Dragway Reunion committee meetings. Mark Oswald has attended a number of the meetings and has been very helpful. It should be a good gathering, On Friday we will have a meet and greet for racers and fans, John Peters of Freight Train Fame along with Leonard,Mark and a host of others racers will make that a memorable night. On Saturday we will hold the car show, with cars that raced at Southland on display along with Cackeling of Top Fuel cars, gassers etc. Should be a great time

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cliff

Nitro Member

Hey Gary, You a Cajun? My mom was a Guidry from Kaplan, Loo-si-anna. heh She spoke French, but never taught me or my little brudder. I do know how to say "no" in French.... :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rajunz

Nitro Member

This event was amazing, so many great people showed up. The Friday Night Meet & Greet was packed to capacity, so many legends showed up, John Peters, Preston Davis, Leonard Hughes, Mark Oswald and Antron Brown, Angelle, Candies Family, Lynwood Dupey, Sammy Pizzolato, the list goes on.

https://www.facebook.com/Memories-of-Southland-Dragways-Houma-Louisiana-113092932099874/

Mark & Leonard
    [​IMG]
    Jim Dupey & PB Candies starting the Wales & Candies Cackle Dragster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Candies Family Racing, they still have the Motorcraft Probe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lots of Gassers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Antron, Angelle and Mark.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. Cliff

Nitro Member

Wow! These are some great photos. Did recognize a few people.... :)

9. Con

Con
    Nitro Member

Cliff you and I might be related. My grandmother was Amanda Guidry. My birth certificate shows mom born in Gibson, LA which is very close to Houma, LA. In the 1950s growing up in Tulsa but spent part of every summer in southern Louisiana and had a lot of relatives in southern Louisiana.

10. Cliff

Nitro Member

I wouldn't be surprised if your Grandmother wasn't a cousin. My mom was born on a farm outside Kaplan in 1916. She never had a birth certificate, just a baptismal certificate to prove her age. She passed in 2004. I know that her mom was Suire (sp?) & her dad was Guidry. My mom's great grandfather, Jean Baptiste Guidry, was killed in the Civil War, around New Orleans. Don't know too much about the family history, except that they came from Arcadia, Nova Scotia, Canada, in early 1800's. That was after the French-British war, & the Brits kicked out the French & most of them went to Louisiana territory. I guess you could call me a California (half) Cajun, cuz I was born & raised in the Los Angeles area. Moved to AZ in 1981. By the way, I can say "no" in 9 languages. :p

11. Boo

Boo
    Nitro Member

What an event this was, brought out a lot of the old racers from the local area and also some from quite a way away like John Peters (Freight Train) and Preston Davis (Tennesee Bo Weevil) it went beyond our expecations. I think we may just do it again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reese

Nitro Member

Now it's time for a Laplace Dragway Reunion.

13. Rajunz

Nitro Member

If you build it, they will come.

• Like Like x 1