Pro Stock Final

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by Pete, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Pete

Nitro Member

IMG_7251.JPG After last weeks issues with the PSB final, let's look at this weeks winning run in PS...

2. Pete

Nitro Member

IMG_7250.JPG
    Now, here's the paused finishline shot from TV...if you look at Ericas rear wheel and rear window line, it is clearly behind Skillmans. I believe the call was correct, so NHRA needs figure out what's causing this distortion and explain it to the fans, especially after it happening 2 weeks in a row

#2 Pete, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. ironpony

Nitro Member

I believe the electronics are no where near as accurate as NHRA wants you to believe. The setting of the blocks and photo beams leaves a lot to be desired if you ever watch them closely. I was at Norwalk when TW took out the block right in front of where we where sitting, no "precision" in the placing of the replacement. An inch of at the finish line, well, also where the beams are located it can be tripped by the front of the car instead of the wheel. could explain some of the big differences in times at the same event

remember Steve Johnsons win at Indy? obviously was ahead by a wheel and the light came on in the other lane

4. Pete

Nitro Member

Most all pro classes trip the finishline beams with the nose/body of the car anyhow☺️

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave

Nitro Member

It was a MOV of 2 inches, do you really think the camera is going to show that? ESPN at least used high speed ultra-mo cameras that could slow the frames down without distorting the crap out of the picture. But even then, go to the Mike Edwards/AJ .0000 MOV race at Bristol. finish1.jpg
    This is the ACTUAL finish line.. as they pass the reflector on the block.

finish2.jpg
    This is what ESPN paused the video at to show the MOV... the other end of the big yellow stripe.

Their camera is better quality than the one FOX uses because the cars at least arent enlongated and distorted. The first picture above shows a few frames before the actual finish line, the 2nd picture above is just one blur beating another blur.

I would suggest to either get better cameras or quit showing the shots to get the fans confused. Two objects traveling in excess of 200mph and 2 inches apart is best left to the electronics to decide. The Steve Johnson incident mentioned had him a clear wheel ahead. These have been too close to call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikebcurve

Nitro Member

I believe the electronics more than I believe those finish line shots. They should be ashamed of them, but apparently are not. There is no excuse for it. What other "big time" sport would even air something that low quality?

7. .

Nitro Member

8. Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member

Absolutely, Brent. Whatever ESPN used is so much better than what's being used today.

Sean D

9. Just Paul

Nitro Member

Will all the graphics being added in, the near lane was getting a high level of distortion all weekend. The front wings on the top fuel dragsters were coming through with a wicked angle on them.

10. Cliff

Nitro Member

So is it the graphics that is causing the distortion?

11. troy boy

Nitro Member

They are just using cameras from the early 1900s

Attached Files:

12. .

Nitro Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. mikebcurve

Nitro Member

That looks better. I wish I was joking.