NHRA TF engine animated graphic: why does it have a water pump?

Nitro Member
Something I noticed for the first time today: the TF engine graphic they showed on the broadcast several times has a water pump that looks like it came off of an old farm pickup.

Attachments

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Nitro Member
Oh god... don't give Tony P. something else to explain... :rolleyes:

Nothing will top his explanation of a Funny car being a "carbon fiber body made from carbon fiber." Sad thing is that is what a taped segment, which means that was the best version.

none

Nitro Member
I hadn't noticed that but had been wondering about the part of the segment that shows the clutch. To me, the "ping...ping...ping..." audio suggests a harsh lockup. Is that accurate, and if so, what causes it?

Actually, a description of how the clutch works would be helpful. From someone here, not week after week on the TV show. ;)

Nitro Member
I hadn't noticed that but had been wondering about the part of the segment that shows the clutch. To me, the "ping...ping...ping..." audio suggests a harsh lockup. Is that accurate, and if so, what causes it?

Actually, a description of how the clutch works would be helpful. From someone here, not week after week on the TV show. ;)
The "ping" noise is every time another disc is added to the stack.

How the clutch works:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/inside-fuel-cars-3500f-slider-clutch/?sf100619227=1
http://nitromater.com/threads/how-does-the-top-fuel-clutch-system-work.22566/

none

Nitro Member

Come to a race and come to Nitro School, I'll show you everything about it.
Alan

:):)
Come to a race and come to Nitro School, I'll show you everything about it.
Alan
Alan, I'll be at Maple Grove on Friday. Do you offer private tutoring being that Nitro School is on Saturday?
And I learned my lesson Not to call you "Mr. Reinhart", It's Alan.

And if you wake up early enough, Shady Maple for breakfast, I'll buy. I Eugene will be pissed!

none

Nitro Member
Brent, thanks for the videos; they were helpful.

Alan, thanks for the invitation. I'll be sure to bring apples for the teachers! :)

Randy

Nitro Member
Brent, thanks for the videos; they were helpful.

Alan, thanks for the invitation. I'll be sure to bring apples for the teachers! :)
Just remember. Alan is in the booth for a reason. While tuners make the big bucks, announcers are rich and famous. Take your pick, but you can't be both.

There goes my Pomona tower suite passes. LOL

none

Nitro Member
Just remember. Alan is in the booth for a reason. While tuners make the big bucks, announcers are rich and famous. Take your pick, but you can't be both.

There goes my Pomona tower suite passes. LOL
Thanks for the caution, Randy. :) But I've seen Alan at the races often enough to have my opinion of why he's in the booth: He knows a lot about racing and he knows how to share what he knows.