grudge racing during national event ??????

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by tom, Jul 28, 2017.

1. tom

tom
    Nitro Member

bet the safety safari loved that

2. Bubba

Nitro Member

That fellow could not have coasted any further in oiling the track. #jackass I have no use for the Team Boddie stuff.

3. .

Nitro Member

I knew the live jinx / oildown would bite us. Profoundly stupid idea to run a wild car like that with no oil containment right before LIVE NATIONAL coverage.
    Dumbasses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. .

Nitro Member

Anybody got video, I'd love to see this stupidity!

• Like Like x 1
  5. T.Smith

Nitro Member

I was dozing off on the couch when that happened, I said to myself...why is that idiot not driving straight?

6. Bob K.

Nitro Member

I was just going to start a thread about this very thing WHY MUST NHRA subject us to these stupid "REDEMPTION" OR "NO PREP" or this latest "BODDIE" thing or whatever. It does NOTHING to promote NHRA and the sport it is and always has been. Let these stupid nuts that put 3,000 horsepower on an 8 1/2 inch tire do it in their own events! To better promote
    NHRA, wouldn't it be better to run some Nostalgia Funny Cars or Nostalgia Super Stock (A/FX) or gassers (they have done that) but run them QUARTER MILE? Unless they are not safe to?
    A car like Monti Fitzgerald who oiled the track should never have been allowed to run without wheelie bars! I know Monti sure did not mean for this to happen. His father Cloy Fitzgerald was the tech guy at Half Moon Bay Drag Strip back in the early '60s when I started racing. He later became a tech man for NHRA. He was a very sharp guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. vegasnitro

Nitro Member

Running exhibition cars of any type between Pro Stock and the fuel cars seems ... optimistic. However, Robert Hight should probably send him a thank you card, that extra 20+ minutes of clean up allowed the track to cool off quite a bit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Reese

Nitro Member

$$$$$$ I guess.
    What's odd is I went watch Redemption 8 last Friday and not one oildown pass was made.

9. Cliff

Nitro Member

Maybe these classes are being tested in case Pro Stock gets the boot. If there is enough fan interest..... I have noticed that classes like these are getting big all over the country and they are very popular.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JB3

JB3
    Nitro Member

WHY?? The fan base NHRA is attempting to cater to could care less about Nostalgia cars or gassers. Heck, I grew up watching some of them and now I couldn't care less. Catering to the established (older) fan base will do nothing to grow or sustain the sport.

11. SoCal Racer

Nitro Member

The whole live qualifying thing is a FAIL waiting to happen. Last week rain at Denver; this week an exhibition run right before the fast cars. Really? That's like saying, "let's get the Safety Safari out there one. more. time!"

I have no use for the Street Outlaws or No Prep type deal. When I began racing it was "Prep-Lite" with maybe 100' of VHT.... but we were only running 10 second cars. Cars with massive amounts of power need prep. Period. As we saw with this guy, they don't know when to lift or proper drag strip etiquette. You know, like pulling off the track if you think (or know) you're broken/ oiling. They may have fast cars that appeal to some, but they don't represent professional racing in any sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. You!

Nitro Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. troy boy

Nitro Member

Wow did he drive it all the way to Yontville with the oil pan smashed off?
    Crazy launch but shut it off and pull to the side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ironpony

Nitro Member

Unfortunately that is EXACTLY what the casual fan wants to see, that will be talked about by all the fans (all 20) who were in the stands to see it. Although right before Nitro the stands may of been half full.

Personally I thought it was cool, maybe not appropriate at a national event though.

Also it is racing, not like a PS or Nitro car has not oiled down the track before. IIRC Langdon a couple weeks ago............

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. glofria

Nitro Member

All part of the show folks. The current show is stale and even NHRA is starting to realize that they've got to do something to breath life into it. As someone said, these guys are the modern day AA/FA.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/drcphoto.asp?ID=328756#indextop

Monti is a good guy and is an asset for keeping drag racing going in Northern California.

16. Nick Name

Nitro Member

I think you nailed it. They do realze that they have to tap into the popular side of the sport if they are going to survive.

17. Bubba

Nitro Member

I have less interest in this grudge stuff than I do in Pro Stock.

A jackass move.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. RM FAN

Nitro Member

Exactly!!! You want Nostalgia cars go to a Nostalgia race. I love the gassers as much as anyone just not at an NHRA race. Kudos to NHRA for trying to appeal to the MASSES (better late than never) and stop worrying about the over 70 crowd, they are the only ones whining about this type of racing. Look how popular Street Outlaws is. Give it more time, races and publicity and it will take off.

19. glofria

Nitro Member

Sorry but I find your comment "about the over 70 crowd" a bit ignorant. many of the people who go and enjoy nostalgia events and the cars are 2nd, 3rd and even 4th generation racers and hot rodders. As time goes on many people enjoy family activities together and the time spent with others who share a common interest

• Like Like x 3
  20. JB3

JB3
    Nitro Member

Maybe not stated the best by Wayne ... but you are making his point for him. You want to see Nostalgia, go to a Nostalgia race. I do not doubt it is a family affair and I am sure the races are enjoyed by that crowd.

Simply put, it would be short sighted to turn back time and run cars that a vast majority of their fans (and fans they need for the future) are not interested in. To cater to an aging / shrinking demographic (70) makes no sense at all and I mean no disrespect in that statement. National events and the sport are changing (need to change). They have to or they won't be around for the long term.

As a side note ... I really applaud NASCAR for trying a new format this weekend. Cup Qualifying and Racing on Sunday. Give the fans (including the die-hards) an action packed day in a small compact box. They will do this 2 more times this season as an experiment. If you want to draw in more fans from today's generations, you have to give them exactly what they want to see and keep it tight and affordable. If not, they simply go spend their money elsewhere.