Cruz and TF dragster headers

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by ., Aug 10, 2017.

1. .

Nitro Member

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/CruzPedreg...414457679332/1572919582728805/?type=3&theater

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cliff

Nitro Member

Wow, interesting stuff. I hope they do get that car turned around. Can only imagine the frustration in that camp.

3. stitcherbob

Nitro Member

I say leave 'em on and cut holes in the body....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sandman

Nitro Member

Remember Tim Grose's Datsun-bodied flopper? It had something kinda similar where the headers exited at the base of the windshield area. Not sure if there were any plusses or minuses with it though.

5. Nunz

Nitro Member

Was that a C4 Vette that he ran those headers on?

6. Sandman

Nitro Member

I thought it was his 280ZX, but you are probably right. I know it was short-lived either way.

7. Cliff

Nitro Member

Grose may not have been the only one running that style of header. Seem to remember more than one car tried that. Was also thinking of the original Wedge dragster of Don Prudhomme. They ran the headers thru the top of the wedge, then changed to F/C style headers. Don't remember why they did that, but the car ran better with the F/C headers. There was a lot of experimentation in T/F around 1971, with running headers pointing straight up; supposed to give more down force. They went back to regular headers after awhile. Interesting to me how F/C has made great strides with the style of header they now run. Don't seem to see much experimentation in T/F header design, not like F/C, anyway.

8. Nunz

Nitro Member

I think the TF headers have been laid back for awhile, but I could be wrong. I also remember Cory Mac driving, maybe a Tuttle car, in the past year or so, with a kind of shorter FC header. But it may have been only a qualifying experiment.

9. Rugby1au

Nitro Member

Why not point them down and forward so that they exit the body just behind the front wheels.
    A forward distance move that looks about 10 -12''.
    This would provide a 'lever' to help keep the front end down. Then they can angle them back and in.
    Why hasn't anyone thought of this and tried it out?

Just saying.

10. Cliff

Nitro Member

You can see a version of this design in some of the Pro Mod, 10 wide, etc. They run the header in front of the front wheels. Looks strange but it works. I think most of the cars that do that are turbo cars.