Comp Ain't Dead Yet

Discussion in 'NHRA' started by Cliff, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Cliff

Nitro Member

Lookin' at the Comp field in St Louie. 33 cars, so they had a bump. 32 car show. #1 Q Doug Engels, D/ED, 7.216 ET and that is .804 under the index! This is a V-6 car with auto tranny. Wow.... First 9 cars at .70 under or quicker. .60 under was a dime a dozen. Tip of the hat to Terry Smith, A/DA at 6.408, .762 under. I think both Engels & Smith ran the quickest ever for their classes. Smith is running times that are A/D territory (does anyone even run A/D anymore?). Will keep an eye on Comp!

• Like Like x 2
  2. megadeth

Nitro Member

I don't think many people care. LOL

3. Bubba

Nitro Member

I care. It's one of my favourite categories.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. tb

tb
    Nitro Member

(I care. It's one of my favourite categories.)

Me Too !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. andujar

Nitro Member

Comp is a very cool class....I care too

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. none

Nitro Member

Add my name to the list, I care Very Much! Love COMP!
    Alan

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FABMAN

Nitro Member

My heart has always been with Modified Eliminator but there is room for Comp as well.

8. Mike

Nitro Member

Me 4! Love comp!

9. Nunz

Nitro Member

A LOT of people care about Comp. I grew up up watching my dad run A/A. Comp, is badass.

10. DG

DG
    Nitro Member

I'd still be running Comp, if I had the money to stay competitive year to year.

So, I settle for a TD now [Speed costs money... How fast do you want to go? --- Medium!]

11. Cliff

Nitro Member

Hey David, if I ever come into lots of $$$, I will build you a modified roadster and you can run it in Comp or T/D or whatever you wanna run. That would be sooooo cool to see a modified roadster again. :)

12. Toejam

Nitro Member

That is impressive these days, when was the last time they had a Full field?

13. Toejam

Nitro Member

I used to love Comp in the 90’s with Bill Maropolis, the Chapparone Bros, Tom Haner, Johnny Gray, John Geyer! I think Top Sportsman and Dragster have stolen the class’. Thunder

14. Cliff

Nitro Member

Joe, you remember when Johnny Gray ran A/D & ran that monster pass, like 6.60's (?) at over 200? He had basically a Pro Stock motor and a lot of the P/S guys were watching to see how the car ran.

15. mick

Nitro Member

remember watching tom snyder up here in div. 5 with his red altered 'pappy's pride'.....really quick car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SoCal Racer

Nitro Member

Comp racers are probably the most under-appreciated bunch out there, yet perhaps the smartest. What they do with combinations others would never dream of tackling is nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately they don't have much fan appeal since they handicap race in eliminations - to the casual observer it just looks like a bracket race with some odd cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jimbo

Nitro Member

18. FABMAN

Nitro Member

I pit next to them at Denver Div Race really nice people.

19. Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member

I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that car.

Sean D